Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have Brover, Becky, and 7 new puppies that will be ready for Christmas. The dogs are purebred Australian Shepherds and herd cows, formally goats, geese, ducks, chickens, and once in a while people. I have worked with them daily not once or twice a day, they live with me, eat with me,(sometines eating what I eat) and the parents sleep with me when they want. Unless I'm going somewhere that they absolutely can't go they go with me. Yes at 3 and 2 years of age they may over react at some situations guarding the property, garden, pastures. But by my continual working, talking and instructing them, they have almost daily recieved comments of people how well they are trained, how well they work together, how well they listen. Yes, I get stern at times, and yes, I have done things to get their attention. But being fair, giving them time to play, and they play hard, and giving the free time and praise, they are worth any mistakes they make. Their rewards, treats, pieces of meat, BACON. My rewards capturing 109+ ground hogs, keeping chickens, geese and ducks out of the garden, herding cows and goats all helps me and makes my job easier. Its great seeing them laying in their spots just watching our world. The only time i have problems with them is when I find fur balls but thats my fault. The best companions by a long shot and they understand 2000 words and even though I taught high school english compared to them I think I only understand 250.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few days ago I tookSentry in the barn with the ewes and lambs. He’s been next to them, but not in with them. He sniffed around then laid down next to Lady BaaBaa.

B5757D08-2188-4166-B877-93D510D848E5.jpeg

This morning I was out doing chores, left coffee cans by the gate while I watered. Naturally Sentry found them and claimed one for his very own. From inside the barn I called Sentry! NO! Had to call it out twice, he stopped and sat down. He stayed there until I went to him and praised him.

F79FAF1C-81AC-437A-BEE8-334766A19BF2.jpeg

I use the upturned milkcrate to sit on to give him lots of hugs and attention. Ringo makes use of that opportunity too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
One day Ringo was rumbling, he butted Sentry and Carson. But when he butted Trip for no good reason, Trip turned on him, snarling. They stared at each other for a moment, sizing each other up. Ringo gained a new respect for Trip. :lol:

Today I took Sentry in with Paris, the ewes and lambs. I caught Aria and sat on a milk crate with her, soothing and talking to her. Sentry got to sniff her all over. He wanted to nibble on her, I said No. About a thousand times LOL. I caught Latigo and we did the same thing. I caught a white lamb and we did more lamb training. When they struggled, it grabbed his interest so that he wanted to "play". No Sentry. He nibbled my chin and I snatched his muzzle with my hand, held it firmly, while I quietly told him No and talked with him. When I released his muzzle, he licked me like, I'm sorry Mommy! :D =D BJ walked up while I was lamb training and got to watch and listen until Sentry saw him there, then he ran to the fence.

I stayed in the barn and let Sentry walk around, sniff ewes and lambs. Miranda butted him hard. He gets a subdued look on his face, and is never aggressive back at the ewes that butt him.

Of all the crazy things, Paris loves Sentry. She asks every day to play with him. She may roll him a time or two, but it is plain that she loves this pup. We are in awe of this change in her. Instead of wanting to attack and eat him, she adores him. Paris has never done this. It takes months for her to accept another dog and sometimes she never does. Sentry has brought new life in her, she has gone from an old dog with not much of an appetite to a dog with an interest in life again, eating all her food and licking the pan clean. What's not to love about Sentry? :love