Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, Dog Whisperers, I need some advice. Sentry paws at me, wanting attention, even when he is getting attention. His sharp claws will eventually scratch and be annoying, if not painful as he grows. I don't want him to do this to our grand daughters, it is a bad habit. He's not a Labrador, I'm not teaching him to "shake" or
high five" like I have taught dogs before.

right now I push his paw away, saying No--about a thousand times. It seems ingrained into him, a part of his chemical makeup. I've tried holding his paw until it becomes uncomfortable and he struggles to get it back, while talking to him and interjecting No. When I let go, he just paws again.

Hmmm...… maybe I need to stop, utterly ignoring him, having him sit until he is still, then pet him and praise...….. Thinking out loud here, anybody got any ideas?

I broke Ben of this when a pup. Was told by someone on the forums that was akin to not letting my husband give me a hug when he wanted, as that was how LGDs show affection. :gig Could explain why I don't have a husband, huh?

I just gave him the Cesar Milan equivalent of a "bite" each time(a quick jab in the side of the neck with stiffened fingers" with the AAAATTTTTtttttttt!!! correction. Got his attention and that stopped and never returned.

I've found Ben responds to more dog like corrections than what humans think will work....at one point he would lean into my leg as we walked, so much so that I couldn't walk unhindered, but the Attttttt and leash correction wasn't getting through. Finally, I just gave a sudden roar/bark/growl(the same sound I hear older dogs give pups that have gone too far) response and a jab to the neck when he did it and he never did that again.

Contrary to what was said, Ben has found more acceptable ways to show his doggy affection and they don't include pawing the skin off me or the children.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When Sentry paws at me I say AAHHNNTTT! and I pull back from him. I put my hands up, and he sits there, thinking about it. It is working. I'll try the jab "dog bite" and growl. Thanks!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bubba pawed at us constantly when he was a puppy. It was also a sign of dominance. I am the alpha bitch so I would grab his paw and say "shake" then not release it until he tried pulling it away a lot and acting concerned that he couldn't get away. I did not scold him for pawing, just grabbed his paw and said "shake" and told him what a good boy he was for shaking! After a while he decided that pawing at us was not a good idea! Now he will shake on command but will not paw at us. Angel has started doing some pawing too, and at 1 year old she is too big for this. I have starting grabbing her paw and holding it until she gets anxious and tries to get away. I don't do the "shake" command with her since she is not as much of a pawing sort. It worked for us.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that idea too. So far, saying AAHHHNNTT!! and refusing to pet him anymore seems to be working. The real test will be the little grand daughters. If he paws at them, Mamaw will be right on top of it!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had our grand daughters for the weekend to give their parents some down time, which was greatly appreciated. LOL Yesterday the two littles, age 3 and 4, went with me to do chores. I fed Sentry and let them in his pasture. He was delighted! He joyfully licked faces and danced all around them. He ran between the 4 year old legs, this lifted her up and she face planted in the dirt. She came up crying, I ran to her, scolding Sentry, since she was in the dirt, obviously she wanted to play! I growled at him, using GET BACK! and walking into him. He got back and I picked her up. In a short time she was laughing. For a few seconds she looked like she was in the little kids mutton busting event at rodeos-riding backwards!

Sentry came back, but sat down at a respectful distance, watching. I called him to us and he was more subdued. Now for the good news! he did NOT jump on them or paw at them. He minded his manners and was good. I just didn't see the mutton busting coming. :lol: Yesterday and today, the girls spent time with Sentry. I thanked them and told them they were helping to train him. He was extremely happy to see them, but behaved himself in a wiggly puppy way. Making progress.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He does, he is a smart one. I try to give him lots of lamb time, but can't make myself to give him unlimited, unsupervised time yet. He'll get more time, with me leaving the lot, but being a short distance away.

What is really surprising is how Paris has take up with him. She cries to be let in to play with him. Paris being Paris, she has to snap at him, sometimes trashes him pretty hard, then they are back to being friends.