Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't go feed until after dark yesterday. I always feed Sentry first, then feed sheep and chickens while he eats. He waits on me, then we take a walk (so he can poop LOL). We took our walk, I checked again on the sheep. Sentry alerted, ears up, stiff position, he "boofed" then ran towards the front fence, barking. I walked after him, then I heard it-coyotes across the road, in the distance, howling. It was a proud moment, he recognized the coyotes as danger, ran to meet said danger and barked to warn the danger to stay away. Good dog.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry is steadily making progress. He gets more time with the ewes and lambs. A few days ago, I left him with them all afternoon while I worked in the garden. None of them were running in terror, so that means he was behaving. I even left him alone for an hour or two and he did just fine. When I went to let him out so I could feed him, he started wanting to chew on the lamb's faces and ears. "Sentry! No!" He stopped.

He started barking at a neighbor a couple of weeks ago, I told him "Sentry! Hush! That's Enough!" He kept barking. "Sentry! Hush! That's enough". He sat down, wrinkled up his face, deep in thought. He looks so darn cute when he does that.

I’ve been picking up the guinea feathers that they are molting. I picked up one, deemed it too worn and dropped it. Sentry picked it up, with that wrinkled face, trying to figure out what I wanted with that silly feather.

E7AA9BBF-08C1-4935-B969-869D42B9660E.jpeg

5EB7006F-84B1-4B67-9497-9239B3B456CC.jpeg

I have one hen that refuses to go in the coop. She patiently waits for Sentry to leave his food, then tries to eat all she can. He’ll walk away, then realize that she is eating his food. He pounces AT her, never ON her. He never touches her, but she gets the message and moves away. He either finishes his food or lays down to guard it from her.

4EDEAD47-AFF3-4421-9270-BA0AA7E7A5F4.jpeg

770DD39F-5EC8-4857-9CBD-5382B2050BB6.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love him! He's going to be a great addition to the LGD "pack".
Bruce, he has brought new life to Paris. Not only does she not kill him, but asks to go in the pasture with him and PLAYS with him! All 4 dogs spend the day together in the front pasture, they play, chase trucks (inside the fence) and nap. Paris loves him. She will trash him if he gets out of line, but she lets him up and they are friends again. We just marvel at how happy she is.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is some great progress and he does seem to be thinking.
He wrinkles up his face when I teach him something, it makes me laugh. He rolls it over in his mind and he "gets" it. I may have to repeat it, but he understands what I want.

I think it just wonderful how Paris has taken to him! Who would have ever guessed that would be her response to a new dog given her history. Good girl :love
We were watching a happy Paris this morning and I asked DH, "I want to know who took my dog and WHO is this dog?" We laughed. We have never seen her so happy.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were watching a happy Paris this morning and I asked DH, "I want to know who took my dog and WHO is this dog?" We laughed. We have never seen her so happy.

That's the way it is with Maisy. She always appeared to be happy but once she accepted Mel as part of the pack, she is like a puppy instead of a 4 year old. Mel acts the same way though so I'm happy too.

Latest posts