Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I fed Sentry this evening and fed Sheep. Sentry laid by his bowl, not eating, but guarding it from Chicken, the free range hen. I saw him not eating and asked him what’s wrong. I sat down, petted and praised him, then he ate. He wanted my company and didn’t want to eat alone.

07491120-3921-4CEC-A95E-E3096BD5A216.jpeg

After he finished, he got a drink. Then he stared off in the distance at something I couldn’t see.

BE8686EA-A4BA-4222-92A1-412B27196601.jpeg

We went for his evening walk around the pasture, he likes his special time.

I pulled hay off the hay bale for Ringo and Scottie. I pulled hay for the ewes and lambs. Before I left Sentry’s pasture, I gave him hugs and told him to keep the girls safe tonight. I went in the barn for a last inspection and caught this picture. Sentry has a piece of the barn for shelter, just beyond him is Ringo and Scottie. To the right, not in the picture, is the sheep’s round bale. Sentry was watching over them and looked so darn cute with his feet hanging through the wire.

B09AFC25-B069-4559-A770-E29D89217390.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few nights ago, Sentry wanted to stay in the barn with the ewes and lambs, so I let him. Ewenique has a single lamb and is being extremely protective, growling, rumbling and butting. The next morning he was ready to come out of there and has not asked to go in the barn for the night since. :lol: I guess he spent the night dodging Ewenique, which all in all, was good lamb training for him. He trails them around the pasture or in the yard like a good LGD should, but usually spends the night in the front pasture with the small pen in the barn, in the picture above. That way he is part of the flock in the barn, but can still run the field and bark at danger-usually the neighbors who have the audacity to walk about in their own yard. LOL

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That way he is part of the flock in the barn, but can still run the field and bark at danger-usually the neighbors who have the audacity to walk about in their own yard. LOL
That can be pretty annoying. I hope he figures out that they are not in his territory and are not a threat to his sheep.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The neighbors he barks at set dog owners. One has a smart a$$ French bulldog that runs to the fence and barks at my dogs. He gets them all riled up, barking madly, then he pees on the fence! That really sends them into a frenzy. Annoying? Blame my dogs? Don’t think so! The other neighbor they bark at doesn’t care, they have 3 dogs. Other neighbors know the difference in their barking and a real threat. When we were gone at Christmas, 3 neighbors came over checking on things because the dogs were going nuts. The 3rd neighbor came over at 1AM and saw the bobcat that Carson had bayed.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry will eventually learn the neighbors' normal patterns and stop barking at them when they are going bout their own business. Even the French bulldog that pees on the fence will be nothing but a monor annoyance since they will all (including Paris) take turns peeing over its scent! LOL

Hearing about how the little FB runs up and down barrking at your big dogs reminds of my friend's story. She had a Pyrenees, a Heeler, and a Jack Russell. The neighbors' dogs used to line up and run along the fence barking at her dogs. Her dogs would do the same. She was worried that they were bitter enemies. One day she looked over that somehow the Jack Russell had gotten under the fence into the neighbors' yard! Terrified, she ran to rescue him thinking the neighbors' dogs would tear him to bits. When she got a closer she noticed that her other two dogs were still running up and down the fence line barking at the neighbors' dogs. The neighbors' dogs together with the naughty Jack Russell were runni1ng up and down barking at the Pyr and the Heeler! It was their regular routine to bark doggy insults at each other LOL.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meet Joy Chicken. Joy Chicken is a free range, free living hen who refuses to go back in the coop. She and Sentry do this dance around his Feed pan. She will dash in and snatch a bite if he walks away, sometimes he lays down to guard it from her. They are quite comical. She eats with Ringo too. She sleeps on the sheep’s hay bale and as quite the nice life.

Joy Chicken has made Sentry an egg sucking dog. She has designated his dog house as her nest box. I have watched him, he checks on his dog house to see if she has laid him an egg yet. If she is on the nest, he doesn’t go far away.

548DD55D-AD69-4B88-A6AE-317488401163.jpeg

Sometimes I get the egg before Sentry does, but not often.

1DA85FD2-239C-4A12-92E0-B30A6CBF6D81.jpeg

Latest posts