Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Joy Chicken has made Sentry an egg sucking dog. She has designated his dog house as her nest box. I have watched him, he checks on his dog house to see if she has laid him an egg yet. If she is on the nest, he doesn’t go far away.

Only fair if she wants to share his food! Obviously it's meant for him -- delivered to his house! :lol: Just never let him in the chicken coop...ooooops!

One a day isn't bad. I penned 2 suspect egg eating hens a week ago. Appears they were eating 6-8 a day!! There's one more, she's in my barn but, destined for a cage until I know she's the one. 2 are questionable. So, will pen each separate and see what happens...…….Hope it isn't the nice young, big one. BUT -- only bothering one nest. It may be she's eating her own. Others not gone.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then how do you get any eggs??

They don't eat eggs all the time, only when one breaks in the nest due to thin shells that happen when any given time a bird is going into or out of a lying cycle. They naturally will clean up eggs that get damaged, so I'm glad they are all egg eaters, as God intended them to be.

Then, like a miracle, after shells firm up in a week or so, the egg eaters just stop eating the eggs. If I had to start killing egg eaters, I'd never have another chicken survive the cleansing.

I also have broody mamas that will consume eggs that are not fertilized or developing in her nest, which is also a great instinct to have.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ours clean up soft shelled eggs that break but they never bother normal eggs. We have enough damaged eggs that they do get a lot of scrambled eggs. :)

Yep....mine never bother normal eggs either. If they did, I'd never get an egg on this place. I have pretty high production on this place and rarely have damaged eggs for most of the year.