Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They don't eat eggs all the time, only when one breaks in the nest due to thin shells that happen when any given time a bird is going into or out of a lying cycle.
Ah, different that I thought. My girls don't even seem to bother those ... until I toss them into the run then it is every girl for herself.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a goat that eats eggs. I had been wondering why I had not been getting any. Then one day I went in to a hen on her nest so I started doing a little cobweb clearing to wait on her. One of the goats was hanging around in there eating hay as well. When the hen ran out with her cackling I turned around to get the egg only to see my goats grab it up. Then crunch. She ate the whole thing and didn't lose a drop. Weird goat.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have two Great Pyrenees, Paris and Trip. Paris is 10 and Trip will be 5 in November. Now is a good time to introduce and train a new puppy. I have been wanting an Anatolian. I was on a Facebook Sheep and goat group when I saw a post for a very Anatolian looking puppy. I kept going back to that post, looking at that puppy. Finally I contacted the lady.

The puppy is 4 months old. His mom is Anatolian, his dad is Great Pyrenees and Akbash. He has been raised with Sheep and goats, horses, chickens and a pig.

We drove to Kaufman, only an hour away on Wednesday and got him.

The ride home. Look at that sweet face!

9164c44c-5881-4ab2-ba9c-3a34036bdb7a-jpeg.33112

Introducing a wether.

4bc06b48-48bb-4b4d-9a42-c92a88419e22-jpeg.33113

I put the puppy in a pen for the night. Next morning, he was out, still in the Sheep lot, but not in his pen. I went to work, finding his escape holes and covering them up. Much of our pens are constructed out of cow panels, they have 6” holes and the puppy can squeeze through them. I got his pen secured. He is in the barn, with Sheep on 3 sides.

e1805951-ce72-43a8-8245-407e0401f301-jpeg.33115

The reason for penning him up, he is a puppy. When a puppy plays with littermates and the play gets too rough, the other pup will cry out, Yelp or whine. This is the signal “It hurts! Stop”. The puppy then knows to stop playing. But if a puppy is playing with a lamb and bites it, the lamb runs in terror-silently or saying BAA BAA! Since the puppy doesn’t speak terrified lamb, and the lamb doesn’t speak roughed up littermate, it is game on! The puppy then learns to chase and bite the sheep or whatever animals it is with. It takes time to teach proper behavior.

So, what to name him? He was in the lamb pen, exhibiting proper behavior. Keeping a respectful distance, alert, watching his lambs. It came to me, Sentry.

a69013c1-1048-4431-b6cf-b474468775ca-jpeg.33114

Today we introduced Sentry to Trip and Carson. Carson was all about greeting a new friend!
619bf391-3a9f-43cf-8992-aa7b3acaa6a9-jpeg.33117

Trip was reserved, not antagonistic, which was a good thing. Sentry jumped up on Trip, Trip turned his head away. Sentry jumped on the other side, Trip turned his the other way. We stood outside the pasture, watching. What an affront on Trip’s dignity.

929ef827-f447-4c93-9352-7952d1bab4e8-jpeg.33116

Finally Trip had enough and bit Sentry. Not hard, but a dominant bite. Trip growled and bit Sentry up and down like we eat corn on the cob. Trip nose bumped him, poking Sentry hard.

4d40b0b8-1c3d-4115-8285-b00a3f0f7987-jpeg.33118

Sentry submitted and rolled over.

a8735a56-6cd5-48e1-97de-87918959be03-jpeg.33119

Trip chewed on Sentry’s throat, legs, belly and growled.
Anyone here has a good heart to give me a pup? my dog died and I need a replacement... I here in the Philippines and I can't find a breed just like that here.. :(:(:(

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a goat that eats eggs. I had been wondering why I had not been getting any. Then one day I went in to a hen on her nest so I started doing a little cobweb clearing to wait on her. One of the goats was hanging around in there eating hay as well. When the hen ran out with her cackling I turned around to get the egg only to see my goats ghrab it up. Then crunch. She ate the whole thing and didn't lose a drop. Weird goat.
That's just weird and wrong lol the goat is a predator roll for you shells eggs roll lol okay i am done that the first i have ever heard of a goat being an egg theif... mine havent done that yet but now i 'll be watching them...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@YourRabbitGirl, Sorry about your dog. First, the shipping and quarantine costs to you would be huge. Second, these dogs are rarely free....maybe if a problem within ownership or from a rescue. Even the rescues often charge. I wish you luck. Maybe you can find a rescue. HOWEVER, the dogs need good fencing and a job. If you have no animals, I can assure you that they are not happy guarding a plant.

You should look into a "farm dog" type....collies, etc.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You should have heard me and I guess saw my face at the time. I couldn't believe it. Now it is a game for her. Who gets there first. I hear cackling and run to get it. Sometimes it's me but most of the time her right now. Except I have 1 Easter egger that goes from the coop, through electric fencing last the house out the electric fencing down a 20 ft hill to my hay shed, lays her green egg and then goes all the way back to the coop.
That's just weird and wrong lol the goat is a predator roll for you shells eggs roll lol okay i am done that the first i have ever heard of a goat being an egg theif... mine havent done that yet but now i 'll be watching them...

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be tempted to figure out how to put some sort of electical fence where the eggs get laid at to prevent her.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry has hip dysplasia and has undergone Femoral Head Ostectomy or FHO, surgery. I started a new thread because I think it warrants it's own discussion. @Nifty once posted that we should title our threads appropriately, because search engines pick up the title or at most, first few words of a post. Anybody searching for FHO information might find Sentry's post and it might help some one else. You can find it here;