Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. We had quite a scare this week. On Monday evening, Sentry clearly didn't feel good, he was limping on both back legs and there was a big hard knot pushed out past the base of his tail. When I touched it, he licked my hand, telling me it hurt. From the looks of it, it looked like the other hip blew out. We had already discussed not having another surgery and putting him down. So we loved him, sniffled, and prepared ourselves for the worst. We took him to the vet Tuesday. What a Covid-19 experience that was!

Curbside vet care. No one was allowed inside, the vet techs came out and took the pets inside. Care was performed, then the pet was brought back to the owner. Another lady brought the bill and took payment. Nuts. We expressed our concerns to the tech and she led Sentry away. The vet came out and said that his X-ray looked the same, it was not out of place. I asked about the bump on his hindquarter and the vet said he didn't know, but it wasn't bone. So we figured that maybe it was a muscular injury from him playing too hard with the other dogs. We heaved a sigh of relief that we didn't have to put him down.

That lump was sore and it hurt. I kept watching him, wondering what was wrong. Thursday morning I saw blood spots on the porch and his anus was bloody. Back to the vet we went. For the first time, I didn't have to lift him in the truck, he jumped in. He had an impacted anal gland and it had ruptured. We left him, they sedated him and cleaned him all up and soaked the area with antibiotic. We picked him up that afternoon. The vet said that normally, big dogs don't get an impacted anal gland, that is mostly a little dog problem. DH asked the vet why Sentry had an impacted anal gland, if it was a little dog problem. The vet shrugged and said, "You got a lemon?" We all laughed. Lemon he certainly is, a train wreck of a dog. The vet agreed with us that Sentry can't take another surgery, the operated leg dangles, the muscles have atrophied and he just doesn't have a good leg to stand on. Not if, but when, his other hip blows out or becomes too painful for him, we will say our tearful goodbyes and give him a peaceful escape.

So now he has a shaved butt, an obvious hole that is healing up, pain pills and antibiotics for a week. His fur is starting to look like a patchwork of shaved spots. He feels much better and is running and playing again. We let the sheep out in the yard and he laid in the soft clover under a pine tree, watching, on guard. His mind and heart is in it, his crippled leg, sore butt body slows him down, but it ain't stopping him.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Sentry :(

Did you happen to ask the vet why they didn't find the impacted gland the first time and how much of your payment for the first exam you were getting back?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I planted corn today in the garden. Sentry got as close as he could on the outside of the garden, because it is fenced. He found shade under a peach tree, just to be close to me.

A996ED76-93D8-494A-B649-CE3073D4E642.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry has had a full recovery from both surgeries and is now using his operated on leg. He runs with barely a limp. He is training Sheba, our new Anatolian puppy to guarding sheep. They adore each other, she loves to bite his legs, he falls over and they play, tussle, growl and bark. Sentry is a member of the pack, running, playing, barking at "danger" and guarding his farm. He turned 1 year in May but shows the maturity and wisdom of a dog far beyond his one year of age. Once again, Sentry was meant to be ours, he has a good home and we have a great dog.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both surgeries? What did I miss....or forget? :old
You knew about the Femoral Head Ostectomy, the impacted anal gland ruptured and required a surgery, just a one day stay. It was just something else the poor dog had to deal with and overcome.

There for a long while we really thought that he wasn't going to make it and that we would have to put him down. It's amazing how he has recovered and goes on with life. He still has hip dysplasia in the other hip, so may have to address that some day. He is totally smitten with Sheba, they are fast friends. The difference in them is striking, she is almost as big as he is.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh, guess I missed the anal gland issue. (kinda glad about that, lol) Poor guy! But, he takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!