Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry hates turtles. He barks at them continuously, paws at them, bites at their shell. The first of April he encountered a snapping turtle. Fortunately it was on the other side of the fence. It was getting up on all 4 feet and LUNGING at Sentry. I wound up getting the tractor, scooping it up in the bucket, dumping it in the back of my truck and driving it to a creek a couple miles away. Nasty mean thing!

IMG_3959.jpeg

Then a week later, Sentry had a big red ear water turtle out by the pond. His high pitched excited bark told me he had something, so I took a shovel. I scooped it up and dumped it over the fence in a large pool of water.

IMG_3988.jpeg

Then yesterday his excited barking, once again, he “had” something. I took my trusty shovel. Of all things, it was a crawfish. It was snapping its claws, he was trying to bite it. Crazy dog. I smashed it with the shovel. Now Sentry, there’s about 900 more of them, dig them up and call me. He looked like he was going to eat it, so I tossed it over the fence. Don’t need a sick dog.

IMG_4136.jpeg

IMG_4138.jpeg

This evening it was a box turtle. Poor thing. I scooped it up with the shovel, praised Sentry for being so brave and put it in a bucket. I drove it down the road and turned it loose.

IMG_4149.jpeg

It is a comfort to know my sheep are safe from turtles and crawfish.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry stopped another turtle invasion. I saw it in the back field a couple of days ago. It was at the fence at the middle field and Sentry was raising ruckus over it. I put it in a bucket and let Sentry ride in the truck to take it away.

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

Sentry is now stretched out in the floor, tired from protecting the sheep from turtles.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sentry stopped another turtle invasion. I saw it in the back field a couple of days ago. It was at the fence at the middle field and Sentry was raising ruckus over it. I put it in a bucket and let Sentry ride in the truck to take it away.

View attachment 98383

View attachment 98384

Sentry is now stretched out in the floor, tired from protecting the sheep from turtles.
A little heads up, turtles actually have a very hard time breathing when turned over on their back because there lungs are situated up against their shell (when they are turned over, all the weight of their internal organs is pressed on their lungs, thus making a hard to breathe) saw the turtle like that in the photo, thought I’d mention it 🤷‍♀️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A little heads up, turtles actually have a very hard time breathing when turned over on their back because there lungs are situated up against their shell (when they are turned over, all the weight of their internal organs is pressed on their lungs, thus making a hard to breathe) saw the turtle like that in the photo, thought I’d mention it 🤷‍♀️
Thanks for letting me know. He wasn’t like that long and was set free.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another turtle showed up today. I first saw it going under the gate to the front pasture. Later it came back, trucking it down the driveway, took a left turn and headed for Sentry’s pasture. NO TURTLE! BAD IDEA!

I put it in a bucket, not upside down @Youngfarmer2019 ! I had to go to Crockett, and turned him loose on the way.

Turtles must be looking for mates, but they ain’t gonna find them in Sentry’s pasture!