Separating at feeding time/nutritional needs.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a couple sheep that are on a different grain to help their condition, i have others that are on no grain. Separating everyone is
a huge issue. I can't seem to find a way to do it that is easy for me to manage on my own. During the week its just me doing chores while hubby is at work.
How do you all separate your sheep that have different nutritional needs than others? :hu
I feel like i need more stalls, and pens to accomplish this :(

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've pretty much summed it up -- more stalls. With some animals it's easier than others. But if you need special feeds, you must separate or tie. Sheep don't tie well. A small area to hold the 2 special feed, the rest can be at the communal feeder? No grains? don't let them in the pen...or put them into a stall until others have eaten...giving them hay.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Separate feeding areas is the best solution. Can an area be temporarily fenced off.....stakes and 'orange fencing' etc. Sheep very quickly get used to being fed and will come over right away when you turn up with the bucket. Can you rig up a two way gate such that those to be fed are let out one way and those not to be fed out another?.
Always a difficult proposition!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My ram will tie, and stand but he is on the same feed as the ewe lamb...but he cant be with that ewe lamb because I dont want her bred yet. I cant separate her from the other ewes because because she freaks out being alone. I might just have to let some of my ewes eat the ewe lambs grain as well. I dont know how else to handle it.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or cull those needing a different level of nutrition? If they can't stay well fleshed on what the other sheep are normally eating, why would you want them in the flock?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of valid reasons that different individuals within a flock can have different nutritional needs. Young growing animals, pregnant animals, lactating animals for instance. I think the sign of a good flock owner is recognizing that and doing what it takes to meet those needs.

Last edited:

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Or cull those needing a different level of nutrition? If they can't stay well fleshed on what the other sheep are normally eating, why would you want them in the flock?
Because my show ram is not fed what my brood ewes are. They have completely different needs. My ewe lamb can be fed what the ewes are on, but I would like her on show feed instead. If my ewes eat show feed they will get to fat lol Culling is not an option for any of them at this point.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The show animals do tie because they are trained to but, a "general" herd of breeders, not normally handled that way. You have a good idea with feeding pens. And they could be dismantled when not needed.

When I bred/raised mini horses, they were all taught to stand tied. It was so cute to see those foals tied and standing by their dams. We used to pair them like that to keep the foals calm when first learning to be tied. It was also "grooming day" (they were never left tied without persons there) so they got the brushing then, too. All foals were imprinted at birth, so handling them was far easier.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Build a narrow cow panel chute with a cow panel gate at the end of it. You can build this at the entrance gate, narrow it down to single sheep width. Build a small pen for the young ewe so that the "gate" will touch the pen, with the "gate" to the pen opening on the opposite side to form a short chute to her pen. For the rest of the ewes, simply let them out into the pen or barn you want them in. Not knowing how your pens are configured, I hope this helps. I do love me some cow panels!

Do you use hog rings to connect them together? Haha I use hog rings, wire, hay string, my dogs have learned to pull the hay string off if they want in or out, so in some places hay string won't work. I also use the double ended rope clips and carabiner clips. All are good.

Latest posts