1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: How much alfalfa is too much ?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Separating boar/gilt before breeding?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Pigs' started by dukeis84, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 8, 2017
    dukeis84

dukeis84 Just born

I have a breeding pair of Kune Kune's about 20 months old. They have grown up together in the same pen but have never bred. If I want them to breed should I separate them for a while? Or is one of them maybe not viable? The boar noses the gilt around but I've never actually witnessed him top her. She tends to never be willing, always fighting back. What's going on?

2. Feb 8, 2017
    farmerjan

farmerjan Loving the herd life

Try separating them for starters. That might get her in the "mood" to come in heat. I don't know that breed in particular, but most any hog should be coming into heat and breeding before that age.
    It doesn't happen often, but once in awhile you find a gilt that does not come into heat or breed. Kinda like the male/female twins the female is usually no good in cattle. It usually doesn't happen in any other breed of animal, look at all the pigs and lambs and kids and everything, but we had a couple that didn't breed one time and the vet said they will see it occasionally. Since so many are just raised up for meat, who knows how often it does happen.
    I would try the separate pens, watch to see if she shows any heat signs then put the boar in with her. If they are healthy and all, I am not sure if there is any other way to tell; maybe a shot from the vet to get her to cycling....I am not sure if they use lutalyse in hogs or not, I know we used oxytocin when we had a sow that wouldn't let her milk down very well.
    One thing though, if she is a problem to get bred, you might want to consider getting another female. You don't need to perpetuate a problem or keep one that will not reproduce easily. There are enough other things that can happen, like problems farrowing and laying on the pigs, to not be dealing with one that will not at least get bred easily.

dukeis84 likes this.