Separating calf from bull

LndSchneid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This may seem like a longshot but I am wondering if it would be feasible just to separate bull from heifer during the times when she is in estrus?

Calf is 6 weeks, already bonded to bull and her mama. Obviously don't want to breed her too early but want the three of them to continue to keep each other company since that's all we have.

Attachments

• 20171107_102658.jpg
    20171107_102658.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 316

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@greybeard @farmerjan <---2 resident experts, of course there are others, just can't recall their names offhand. Hope they can help you out... But they may need more info.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, I am somewhat confused. What animal are you worried about getting bred? A 6 week old calf is in no danger of getting bred. If it is the cow, then trying to keep her separate from the bull will be a trick because if they are near each other, then it will not be easy to keep them separate. One or the other will try to go through, over, under a fence.
Did I miss another thread about this?
Yes, if you have a good place to keep them separate, then that is the way to prevent her from getting bred. It is just pretty hard to do that for a small farmer....Bull pens/lots are usually very stout and strong to contain a bull until he is needed. A cow in heat near him is just asking for trouble. Not trying to be negative. If they cannot get to each other during her heat then yes, they can run together the rest of the time. However, many heifers will have what we call silent heats, and she could get bred before you even know she is coming into heat.

What breed is the cow, and the heifer?

Is there a specific reason why you have a bull? Usually it is not suggested for a small farmer to keep a bull because it is not economical. A bull is needed for maybe a month to breed only one cow, then you are feeding it for another 11 months. Another thing, they will get bored and are more apt to go gallivanting and then you get into problems will torn up fences, neighbors mad because there is a bull in their yard/field whatever. AI is the safest and most economical way to go in most cases. If this is a milk cow, then she is used to coming into a stall/stanchion/tie stall and can easily be caught up to breed AI.

Guess I just want/need more background info before actually giving specific advise.

LndSchneid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for all of that helpful information. I am planning ahead.

The cow is a mid-size Jersey, the calf is Jersey/Dexter mix. The bull is a Dexter, although not her sire. I have the bull because AI failed and was costly here because of her smaller size.

I have read that if a bull can run with the herd, he tends to be easier to handle, as is the Dexter breed more docile generally too.

Your thoughts?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
in that case I would just let her be bred.

Separating them would be too much of a headache.

I would worry that only one cow will make him want to wander. A very young bull might reduce that possibility. You might need to replace him with a younger model every couple of years.

You might just need really great fences.

It will be interesting to see how it works.

No one in your neighborhood will offer a stud service? Or let you keep their bull for 1 month a year? Options like that would be easier.

(edited to clarify, I would just let the cow be bred... no way do you want to breed a tiny young heifer)

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
it is just "herd" is usually more than 1 cow and 1 bull.

I have never heard of anyone running a herd that small. :hu

LndSchneid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You are clearly knowledgeable and helpful. I just wanted a milk cow for myself. It's turned into this.

You may have a point. There is one neighbor who used to keep these small bulls and cows. I will chat with them. Thanks again.

Latest posts