Settling into NE Tennessee from Montana *Starting over with lots to learn*

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful farm! And the grass! I have serious grass envy going on here. We are on sugar sand, fine white sand, think beach without the ocean. We've been here 5 years and have worked hard at it. Bahia and Bermuda are the summer grasses of choice, they can take the heat, but even they have been hard to get started. Last spring I planted two patches of giant Bermuda, then watered and nursed it all summer. I am waiting for it to come back out this spring. In a couple of weeks I'll be broadcasting Bahia seed on a couple of acres we have cleared. When I see pictures of grass like you have, I almost swoon at the beauty of it!

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I LOVE GOOD NEWS!!! Thanks for turning me around. Now you gotta bake him something good to celebrate :)
A couple of years ago, I had to start using glasses to read. I never thought I could kill a man by mistake from not wearing them. Yikes! murder on a BYH forum. I could blame it on a lot of things, but it was my goof! Sorry

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What a beautiful farm! And the grass! I have serious grass envy going on here. We are on sugar sand, fine white sand, think beach without the ocean. We've been here 5 years and have worked hard at it. Bahia and Bermuda are the summer grasses of choice, they can take the heat, but even they have been hard to get started. Last spring I planted two patches of giant Bermuda, then watered and nursed it all summer. I am waiting for it to come back out this spring. In a couple of weeks I'll be broadcasting Bahia seed on a couple of acres we have cleared. When I see pictures of grass like you have, I almost swoon at the beauty of it!
Howdy!

The late great soil scientist, William Albrecht did a lot of research on growing soybeans. One project was growing them in desert ground. He used lime differently than just "pH modification." Albrecht observed that lime contributed to the protein value of plants, especially when available to the roots of new plants. He also discovered that if he started soy in "good dirt" and transplanted the soybean plant once established, it would not just grow in desert conditions, but would yield a respectable protein value as well.

That said, You may want to consider some test plots and try transplanting other grasses/herbs/legumes.

Have you considered Growing Sainfoin in Texas ?

One of the local waste products (free) in this area is woodchips. I bought a dump trailer and started hauling em home. Woodchips are mostly carbon. I mix the manure from the barn (sheep), and whatever I can get from the cows (they live on pasture so not much until I develop a better system). Manure has Nitrogen. I add a little good dirt for the micro-nutrients, worms, grubs, and all that good stuff, with an occasional stir. GOOD-STUFF!

If there is a stockyard nearby, you may be able to get free manure for composting??

Thank you for the encouraging words. Spring beauty is waking things up and I would really like to get this surgery done before the season gets me chasing after it. The growth rate here is a blessing and a curse. If I don't stay ahead of it, I'll fall behind into the realm of playing catch-up maintenance rather than moving ahead

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're right about our country being beautiful, God has blessed the USA! I'm very partial to where I live, of course, and appreciate it all the more for where I grew up, which has it's own wildly beautiful areas too. But this is where I want to be now. You've been around the country a lot more than I have, MO is as far east as I've been, but I can see why you are where you are now. It's beautiful for sure!
Is that your barn? I have a barn thing.

No worries about the political opinion. I happen to agree. That's a concern I have for my son the WFF, they see a lot of wildlife running from fire. Bears are about as unpredictable as any animal can be and they are all different. There's too much power there to be around one that's agitated and PO'ed. He loves it though, so we just pray for safety for him and all those folks who put themselves in harms way.

Loved hearing about your travels. I bet you have a lot of good "campfire" stories to tell.

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You're right about our country being beautiful, God has blessed the USA! I'm very partial to where I live, of course, and appreciate it all the more for where I grew up, which has it's own wildly beautiful areas too. But this is where I want to be now. You've been around the country a lot more than I have, MO is as far east as I've been, but I can see why you are where you are now. It's beautiful for sure!
Is that your barn? I have a barn thing.

No worries about the political opinion. I happen to agree. That's a concern I have for my son the WFF, they see a lot of wildlife running from fire. Bears are about as unpredictable as any animal can be and they are all different. There's too much power there to be around one that's agitated and PO'ed. He loves it though, so we just pray for safety for him and all those folks who put themselves in harms way.

Loved hearing about your travels. I bet you have a lot of good "campfire" stories to tell.
Howdy!
Amen, God has richly blessed us and our country.

I cut burning trees (I worked as a Class III Sawyer) and told whoppers about feeding my swamper to a burning bear, because it was in his job description that the sawyer must survive at all costs! lol.

Helitac! Rappellers and propellers! Now that get's my blood pump'n. Type1 crews are the best and have their elite.
Helitack is the AirCav of the USFS!!!
I've jumped and rappelled (military) but not for fire. Love that stuff!

When I get a chance, I'd like to share about drip or micro-irrigation. Enjoy the day!

Last edited: