Severe Bloat (Sad Ending - Page 4)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Okay,
Monday: Our 2 month old Nigerian Dwarf buckling died from pneumonia that wasn't able to be treated in time. Vet said HighNote's fecal was clean. We got home that evening and noticed later on(after the vet was closed) that Sheba & Oliva were coughing.

Tuesday Morning: Called the vet and told them the symptoms, they told us they were filling out a script for SMZ-TMP for cocci. We went down and picked it up, gave it to all 3 kids and have been continuing to administer it, and will be for the next few days.

Yesterday: Noticed Minnie hacking(sounded normal - like hacking up cud). Sheba & HighNote acting

Today: Minnie- hacking(a couple times in a row and then not again for 30 mins to an hour)... lack of appetite, lethargic(laying down most of the day, will stand for a few minutes at a time), reclusive, not drinking(except for what little electrolyte I have been able to shove down her throat via a syringe), appears to be empty(tried to poop, but nothing came out & belly does not feel firm from constipation)... I had given her Ivomec 1% Ivermectin yesterday, started her on Red Cell today... still don't know what is wrong with her.

Also, Minnie was bred to Falkor(recently found out that he might have CAE{clicking in his joints & stiff hips}) a little over 4 weeks ago... is it anywhere near normal for a doe to become lethargic in early pregnancy like some women can??

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Okay,
Monday: Our 2 month old Nigerian Dwarf buckling died from pneumonia that wasn't able to be treated in time. Vet said HighNote's fecal was clean. We got home that evening and noticed later on(after the vet was closed) that Sheba & Oliva were coughing.

Tuesday Morning: Called the vet and told them the symptoms, they told us they were filling out a script for SMZ-TMP for cocci. We went down and picked it up, gave it to all 3 kids and have been continuing to administer it, and will be for the next few days.

Yesterday: Noticed Minnie hacking(sounded normal - like hacking up cud). Sheba & HighNote acting

Today: Minnie- hacking(a couple times in a row and then not again for 30 mins to an hour)... lack of appetite, lethargic(laying down most of the day, will stand for a few minutes at a time), reclusive, not drinking(except for what little electrolyte I have been able to shove down her throat via a syringe), appears to be empty(tried to poop, but nothing came out & belly does not feel firm from constipation)... I had given her Ivomec 1% Ivermectin yesterday, started her on Red Cell today... still don't know what is wrong with her.

Also, Minnie was bred to Falkor(recently found out that he might have CAE{clicking in his joints & stiff hips}) a little over 4 weeks ago... is it anywhere near normal for a doe to become lethargic in early pregnancy like some women can??
No, that's not a normal part of pregnancy as far as I know. What do you mean "hacking up cud?" My goats sometimes make a quiet little wheeze when they bring up cud, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as hacking or coughing. Were the kids in quarantine or was Minnie exposed to the new kids? Considering the health issues with the other herd members I'd get her to the vet. Particularly if she's already at the point where you feel it necessary to drench her to keep her hydrated.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
The "Hack...hack" that our goats make to "cough up" cud. Not sure how else I could explain it... but it doesn't sound like a cough(heard enough of those in the past week to spot the difference).
I just got a baking soda, molasses, probiotic powder, nutri-drench mix into her, suggested to me by another farmer to treat a possible acidic rumen... I wouldn't have thought there was an acidic rumen, but thinking back, the does all got the last of the mangos(not over-ripe) from our weekly produce "waste" bag a couple days ago... and there were around 6-9 mangos left. :/ I hope this is the problem, and not some contagion brought in by the new kids!

The kids were all in the barn with the does, but in their own stall... the only time Minnie shared with them was while we were bottle feeding the kids(roughly 30 minutes per feeding of all 4 kids) during their first week or two here... which was 2-3 weeks ago.

Since giving her the Red Cell at around 3-4pm, she is standing for longer periods of time... she still seems off... not wanting to walk much, or really eat any of the buffet I provided(black birch, mullein, sorrel, whole pea vines{incl. pea pods}, 3 varieties of grass, oak sapplings, and a couple of flowering weeds she would normally hork down).. :/ but definitely some better since this morning through afternoon.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Have you taken their temp?

I would give any w/ a cough / that are acting 'off' a shot of Nuflor...NOW. You'll have to check Fiasco for the dosage.

I have had a couple act like that over the years, an old dairy goat farmer calls it, "Silent pneumonia" and it will kill them quickly. They spike a high fever and then get a low temp, which shuts down the rumen. B shot, Nuflor, probios, and drench w/ electrolytes. If they won't eat, make a 'slurry' of fiber (oats, chopped hay, alfalfa, etc.) and feed that to them w/ a feeding syringe....You *have* to keep fiber in the rumen.

Good luck.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you had one with pneumonia, then you could have others. A couple winters ago my whole herd got pneumonia. No symptoms were the same. Most didn't even have temps. Used Draxxin and it cleared right up. If you could get Draxxin from your vet, I would get everyone on it. I believe it is dosed at 1.1 cc per 100 lbs.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
The "Hack...hack" that our goats make to "cough up" cud. Not sure how else I could explain it...
Hmmm... never heard a hacking sound from our goats bringing up cud. The most I've ever heard is a quiet, close-mouthed wheeze. I agree with Elevan and Karen- you had at least one confirmed case of pneumonia in the smallish barn your herd shares. Even in a well ventilated space that puts the others at risk and (cough or no) you have a doe that's off. I'd treat her.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning B shots, how do I get this for my herd?? Everywhere I have check is on indefinite backorder. Anybody want to overnight some to me??

What is Nuflor and where can I find it(please offer something other than TSC, as my TSC seems to be lacking in most of what you all mention their stores carrying)???

As for the feeding syringe... we are waiting for our shipment to arrive... should be tomorrow... if she continues the upward climb that she started this evening.. I may not need to tube feed her after all(which would obviously be the most desirable)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Nuflor is Rx.
Rx for what? lol Is it something that any vet could get for me? or only a livestock vet? My primary care vet is 1.5 hrs away by the way... if Minnie does have a form of pneumonia I can't risk shipping stress on top of illness... chanced it with Jack, and he died.

As far as the Vit B shot goes... can someone tell me how much mcg, mg, or what not it has of which Vitamin B's so perhaps I can get the equivilant by using tablets or capsules meant for people instead???

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
As far as the Vit B shot goes... can someone tell me how much mcg, mg, or what not it has of which Vitamin B's so perhaps I can get the equivilant by using tablets or capsules meant for people instead???
Here's the label for Fortified Vitamin B Complex . It's on indefinite backorder again...you might be able to get a couple of syringes from your vet but if not crush up some human pills and mix with yogurt and give orally.