Sexing an alpaca

Walkers27

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for some advise. The company I work for purchased four alpacas recently to which we were told we had 3 females and 1 male. Although, I’m sure this supposed female is a male. Can someone confirm this please! Sorry if this comes cross silly, I just want to confirm my opinion xx thanks in advance. I’m nee to the alpaca world and learning day by day

Attachments

• F2212F7F-C529-41EE-89F2-2485BAC46B78.jpeg
    F2212F7F-C529-41EE-89F2-2485BAC46B78.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 383

Walkers27

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. On looking I couldn’t see any defined testicles, their are what look like tiny little buds this is way I’m confused ha.
I couldn’t see any scaring incase he has had testicles removed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. On looking I couldn’t see any defined testicles, their are what look like tiny little buds this is way I’m confused ha.
I couldn’t see any scaring incase he has had testicles removed.
How old?
When he pees, his tail will flip up and you'll be able to see if there's anything back there. They pee backwards.

Here's my past alpaca showing them off. They got a little bigger and more obvious with time.
FB_IMG_1629301251339.jpg

Walkers27

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!!

6 years of age. I have been watching for when he pees and definitely comes from as soon on your image. I think we definitely have a male with tiny testicles x

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Suggest you return him and have seller supply a female if you paid for 3 females. You don't need 2 males for breeding, and you will have a problem with a second unaltered male. You might want to check the other 3 animals to make sure that they are the correct sex. Maybe the other one that was supposed to be a male is actually a female.

Also if this 6 year old male has tiny testicles he might not be fertile, BUT will have the testosterone of an unaltered male. When buying breeding animals, their testicle size is usually taken into account as one indicator of potency. Small testicles mean less fertility. If he is a second unaltered male he will bother any female in heat, and could fight with the herd sire. If you decide to keep him have him gelded.

Latest posts