Goat Shaman's Goats and other Critters

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, isn't that exciting? :thumbsup I'm not an expert on these things. But, I would think being playful is part of it. But, I would think the more important clue is the fact that Wanda stood still for Ronin to mount her. If she wasn't interested, she would have run away and avoided him.

Last edited:

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It happened again yesterday, except this time Periwinkle was in heat. Ronin not only mounted Periwinkle, but also my other dwarf Bambina who might have been in heat (I'm not sure). Ronin is one busy little guy. Only lady left is Imzadi (Wanda's daughter). I expect lots of cute little kids in the spring. :weee

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
It happened again yesterday, except this time Periwinkle was in heat. Ronin not only mounted Periwinkle, but also my other dwarf Bambina who might have been in heat (I'm not sure). Ronin is one busy little guy. Only lady left is Imzadi (Wanda's daughter). I expect lots of cute little kids in the spring. :weee
Sounds like loads of fun in store, for next Spring! Are you planning to milk your four does after they kid?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wishing you nothing but success! Make sure you're right there during the birth(s) and get that new kid smell all over you so momma considers you one of her kids. It makes everything going forward so much easier. :)

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have some bad news. Wanda tried to climb over the fence, and she broke her hind foot. Traditionally when livestock break their legs they get a bullet, but I didn't want to have to do that. So, I took her to the vet for an amputation. I don't know how she'll get around on three legs, especially if she might be pregnant. Hopefully since the father of her babies is much smaller than her, the fetuses won't be too much of a strain on her remaining leg, but I can't be certain. :(

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee, that's too bad about Wanda's foot. I might have been tempted to splint it, to see if it heals. If not, then I would amputate & see how she managed on 3 legs.

If you already amputated, I wonder if you could have a sports medicine appliance maker (the kind that makes artificial limbs for human amputees) could make a very simple "peg leg" for Wanda. That might make it a bit easier for her to get around.

We have a commercial, on a local TV channel (don't have a clue what is being advertised), that shows a lady making a 3-D printer leg with an articulating foot, for a miniature horse. I wonder if you could get your local community college engineering department to make Wanda a 3-D prosthesis, as a class project. :hu

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear it. There was a woman on here a while back (can't remember her handle) that had a 3 legged goat and it did just fine.

Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an update. Wanda's leg was amputated last week at just above the ankle. The foot was damaged beyond repair, which is why it had to be amputated. She seems to be healing well. Vet wants me to come back in a week or two to make sure she's okay. My neighbor said he may be able to make a prosthetic for her.