Shar Boy or girl?

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok folks...I know this may sound crazy...but would any of you be able to check out these photos and tell me if I'm crazy?! I'm used to less fuzzy and SMALLER dogs...so I need some expert advice.

Our puppy (Sharplaninac) is about 5-6 months old...and we were told he was a boy. I'm actually wondering if our 'boy' may actually be a girl. I know the testicles don't 'drop' until some dogs get older, however, I'm thinking his "penis" is not what/where it's supposed to be! Again, I'm not sure with the more fuzzy and larger breeds, however, most of the time the penis is already "out" and more towards the tummy...then back up where our dogs is. We don't care either way...I'd just like to know.

I've take some photos of the belly shot...and I'd like to hear what you all think! Thank you...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Close up:

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CocoNUT said:
Ok folks...I know this may sound crazy...but would any of you be able to check out these photos and tell me if I'm crazy?! I'm used to less fuzzy and SMALLER dogs...so I need some expert advice.

Our puppy (Sharplaninac) is about 5-6 months old...and we were told he was a boy. I'm actually wondering if our 'boy' may actually be a girl. I know the testicles don't 'drop' until some dogs get older, however, I'm thinking his "penis" is not what/where it's supposed to be! Again, I'm not sure with the more fuzzy and larger breeds, however, most of the time the penis is already "out" and more towards the tummy...then back up where our dogs is. We don't care either way...I'd just like to know.

I've take some photos of the belly shot...and I'd like to hear what you all think! Thank you...

[url]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9162/jimmyjune22012002.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Close up:
[url]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2838/jimmyjune22012001.jpg[/url]
girl

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Very much a girl...
A boy would be further up and almost a line under the skin till the exit point.

I guess you have to come up with a new name! :hu

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's a female.... One good indicator of you're unsure in the future is that *most* males will hike a leg and *most* females will squat when they urinate. I'm surprised at the breeder as its pretty much impossible to make that mistake in puppies of any breed.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure "he" was a girl...but my husband kept arguing with me. (I have more experience with dogs). I was a little concerned that the placement was a little too far back...

We had a male puppy when i was a kid that didn't lift his leg...my dad had to teach him...and then he wouldn't STOP! Lifted his leg on EVERYTHING...and I do mean EVERYTHING!

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Male puppies when they're young and unaltered (meaning not neutered) will just stand while they pee until they reach sexual maturity, that's when they start lifting their leg. While female dogs will in almost all cases just squat from the beginning.
But either way, determining the gender in a dog is really easy. I'm also curious as to why the breeder would tell you this is a male puppy.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Both of my intact and mature boys do not lift their legs, nor do they mark. While they know how to lift their leg they prefer not to do it. I know some females who lift their leg and mark. Not an indicator at all.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ccrazyland, your dogs are more of an exception than a rule. And when a female lifts her leg it still looks somewhat different than when a male does it. I've worked at an animal shelter for a while and I've been around dogs all my life; in general unaltered males lift their legs.
I think you must have misunderstood my post as I never said that how a dog pees is an indicator of their gender at all, I was merely giving the OP some guidelines on how dogs mark.
The indicator of their gender is simply what's between their legs. And the difference between male and female dog reproductive organs is huge, which is why I wonder why the breeder told them it was a male dog. If that's indeed what happened.