Sharing something funny

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My silly goat, Buttercup came up behind me while I was standing on the edge of the porch and put her hooves on my butt cheeks! I was not expecting it and lost my balance and went off the porch. I couldn't stop laughing. I didn't fall or get hurt. She is such a funny goat. 🤣 I just wanted to share to give someone else a good laugh this morning.

Attachments

• 20210819_153308.jpg
    20210819_153308.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 121

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it is funny when it happens to you, an adult. What if she did that to one of the grandkids? The result may not be so funny.

As a new goat mom you probably feel overwhelmed with all the advise being offered. The overwhelmed feeling will pass. Trust me, been there, got the t-shirt.

Young goats climb all over their moms and any one else. They are just being young. You need to be firm and teach them that jumping up on humans is not good. Several ways you can do this with one putting your knee into her chest when she rears and tell her "down". Just like you do with a dog.

Another way is a spritz bottle and spray her in the face when she rears and tell her "down". Some folks put a little vinegar in the water... not much more for smell and a slight sting.

The ultimate correction would be to flank the goat. She rears, you position yourself to one side of her (doesn't matter which side), reach under her to her two feet closest to your feet and pull her off her feet. Then you hold her down until she stops squirming and tell her "down".

Flanking does not hurt the goat, it surprises them. You can't headbutt the goat to show dominence but you sure can put her on her side with the flanking.

In my experience it only takes once or twice with the flank for them to get the idea that what they were doing was wrong.

As with any animal the correction needs to happen immediately after the offense otherwise the goat has no idea what you are trying to correct.

I have one doeling that has a habit of hooking her front legs over one of mine when I am sitting down. She just wants to see if I have something to eat, or will love on her or what ever. This behavior is rather endearing as a doeling but would be quite painful when she is fully grown. I will start taking her legs off me and telling her "down" and will escalate as needed.

All animals do better, life is better for the animal and human, if they know the rules of what is acceptable and what is not. Just because a behavior is natural to the goat does not mean you have to put up with the behavior.

Love on your Buttercup, she is a cutie that just needs a tweak on her manners.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They have not met my grandkids yet. I will not allow her to do this and will correct it. I just thought it was funny.