Sharing with chickens

Crc310

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm doing my reseach before we get a couple of dwarf breed goats. I know that chicken feed is bad for them but is there some way they can share their space with chickens. I have a 10'x10' shed for our chickens already. It has a sliding door facing east. It is wood inside and has plastic siding outside. Wasn't sure if they would destroy the siding or wood. Obviously they will need more ventilation. I have 8 poultry (hens, rooster and a guinea hen). The poultry are free range during daylight hours. There is a weather proof 10'x10' pen attached to the coop/ shed for somewhere else for the birds to go in bad weather. I use hard wood shavings during warmer temps and straw during colder temps. I'm in the lower thumb of MI so we get lots of snow and cold temps. It would save us space if we don't have 2 sheds next to each other. I would add a large goat pen to it. Thoughts?
IMG_8309.JPG IMG_8304.JPG IMG_8302.JPG IMG_8305.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
in a word, yes, you can do it, and you are already aware of the dangers to the goats from eating chicken food. I'm not quite sure how you'll go about feeding the chickens and keeping the goats out of that food. They will climb over fencing and they can jump pretty high and squeeze through many chicken pop doors. You'll be amazed at what goats will do to get grain... In addition, they'll add way too much moisture with their urine inside. IMHO You'd be far better off to just add on a lean to with sides (extend the roof out on one side) and a partially closed front on one side of the existing chicken shed. The goats will probably only use it during bad weather and to sleep in anyway. You're only getting a couple so they don't need a lot of space. You can place a couple of pallets in there with plywood topping, or build in a bench for them to climb up on to get off the ground. It will provide much better ventilation and make for mush easier cleaning.

Crc310

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
in a word, yes, you can do it, and you are already aware of the dangers to the goats from eating chicken food. I'm not quite sure how you'll go about feeding the chickens and keeping the goats out of that food. They will climb over fencing and they can jump pretty high and squeeze through many chicken pop doors. You'll be amazed at what goats will do to get grain... In addition, they'll add way too much moisture with their urine inside. IMHO You'd be far better off to just add on a lean to with sides (extend the roof out on one side) and a partially closed front on one side of the existing chicken shed. The goats will probably only use it during bad weather and to sleep in anyway. You're only getting a couple so they don't need a lot of space. You can place a couple of pallets in there with plywood topping, or build in a bench for them to climb up on to get off the ground. It will provide much better ventilation and make for mush easier cleaning.
Thank you for your response! Should I be concerned about them destroying the plastic siding?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well... ummm... goats tend to "nibble" on the strangest things, so if there are loose edges, that could be a concern... Sometimes they get it in their heads to head butt or kick stuff, normally that's when they're bored or just plain ornery... If you're worried, you could always line the back wall (covering the siding) with a sheet of plywood over a couple of firring strips (to allow any moisture to descend). Anchor the firring strips to the plywood, not the siding (holes), and run a wire from one support post on one side to the other on the other side to keep it upright and against the siding. 4' height should be more than enough.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not so much the issue of the chicken food being bad for them.
The issue is more if you have a feeder for your chickens to eat free choice and the goats get to the feed, they will over eat and potentially bloat.

Crc310

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Latest posts