SHEARING TIME ON THE FARM DOWNUNDER

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day and thank you SBC for your kind remarks.The fact that we follow what is considered "non-traditional" methods of land,water and livestock management on our farm and to be complemented on the condition of our stock is "praise"indeed.Here are two links to sites some of you may find interesting,they are both run by me .
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/5103247
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SHEEP-Farmer/489540237795665
My own thinking has been influenced by Prof Fred Provenza(now retired) and the work done at Utah State Uni on Natural Immunity and Generation to Generation transfer of flock knowledge..T.O.R.

Shelley419

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
G'day , I thought you all may enjoy some pictures of "me"shearing our flock.The one's on the boards is a 6 mth old ram lamb.The overhead is a group of 18 mth maiden ewes,the one in the paddock is a group of breeder ewes.The total flock this year was around 200 hd. .....T.O.R.

At what age do you normally fist shear a lamb. I'm in NZ, it's November so spring going on to summer. My lambs are currently 4 mths old

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
At what age do you normally fist shear a lamb. I'm in NZ, it's November so spring going on to summer. My lambs are currently 4 mths old
G'day, what breed ? Wool or meat? What are your chances of getting a shearer before xmas? If the wool has any value I would wait until Autumn. What sort of weight are they ,will they make B-B-Q specials for xmas?

BTW , that is an old post of mine ,we do not have the Suffolk's now.Fast forward to more recent posts of mine on Everything else Sheep or here is a link to our FB page . AUSTRALIAN PAINTED SHEEP,DISCUSSION GROUP

T.O.R

Shelley419

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there.
Yes I did notice the post was from 2016.
My lambs are a meat breed, Romney Suffolk. Wool isn't really worth much.
More wondering if they will be hot or not.
Wool is probably a couple of inches long.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day Shelly 419,If it was me. shear the ewe lambs if you intend to keep them.Sell the rest "woolly" in the autumn .For me it is all about the returns at the time of selling..IMO.marketing to the best market is the name of the game. For us its between Ramadan and E I D,because most sell to Ramadan but the EID market is stronger for us.It all depends on the season if it is tough sell early ,if you have plenty of feed hold your nerve...Examine your local market ,do you have ethnic populations who will pay about the norm for the sheep?.EG. this year we posted some photos of our Middle eastern wethers .We had inquires from the East coast of the USA and from all over Southern Africa...So the demand is there you just need to supply the type required ,even if it means a whole change in thinking,dont worry about what the neighbors say focus on your program and outcomes..T.O.R.