1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Shearing??

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by bmarie, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jun 22, 2017
    bmarie

bmarie Ridin' The Range

At what age should my lambs first be sheared? Lady we bought them from says Spring of 2018 (they'll be 1yr old then) is when she would shear but just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. Is it easy enough to learn and do it on my own or should I "hire" someone to do it to prevent injuries etc?

2. Jun 22, 2017
    Roving Jacobs

Roving Jacobs Seeing Spots

I know some people like to shear lambs but it's breed dependent and generally they don't need it until they reach a year. If the breeder says yearly I'd go with that. It's not super hard to learn how to take wool off, but it takes some practice and the equipment can be expensive. I always offer to show people and after watching me they always decide to just hire me to come back. If you have someone local that does a good job it can make more sense financially and in terms of time/effort to just hire someone to do it. There are plenty of pros out there who will cut your sheep to ribbons though so make sure to ask around to find a good one.

mysunwolf likes this.