Sheba-A Marvelous Gift

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today Sheba and Sentry spent most of the day in a pen with a ram lamb. They both just chilled all day. The ram lamb is not aggressive, so it was a good experience for her. The ewes want to butt her and it scares her, so that can wait until she grows up a little more. She spends a good deal of the day next to the sheep and she lays next to the wire when she is not playing with the other dogs.

Yesterday we heard her bark the alarm for the first time with the "boys" Carson, Trip and Sentry. They tear off to the front fence barking at danger, be it trucks, kids on bicycles, a dog or whatever, and she runs the opposite way. Yesterday she didn't run away, didn't run towards the danger, but stood her ground and barked.

Trip will come from the side pasture where he is with the sheep, jumping 3 fences and a cow panel, to run to the front fence and bark at "danger". If he gets hot, he jumps out and comes to the house. LOL LOL I got a feeling that Sheba will pick up on this and do the same someday.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wonderful picture. That is one to print and give a copy to DD and DSIL!

Anatolian puppies are not very aggressive. They watch and learn from the older dogs. They are very playful with the older dogs, but are submissive to them. They gradually become more assertive as they age. They seem to know that they can't defend much at their age and are sensible enough not to indulge in behaviors that would otherwise get themselves hurt or killed. As they grow, they do offer backup to the older dogs but often back off from serious fights. This is a good thing since adult Anatolians do not want puppies getting in their way when they are defending from a predator. It seems to be an LGD characteristic since young LGDs faced with larger predators, or outnumbered, will use play behavior to entice the predator or threat away from the flock instead of attacking and getting injured by a larger or more numerous threat. Very smart dogs.

LOL I wish human teens would be that sensible judging from some of the stories with which my adult sons are now seeing fit to regale me!
:ep