Sheba-A Marvelous Gift

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
but good girl for not chewing on the lamb
Well what did you expect, it wasn't chicken fried! :D
BTW, I got some lamb loin chops at the farmer's market Saturday. I did NOT chicken fry them! I also didn't share them, too expensive to waste on people who don't appreciate lamb.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was my answer. The lamb was not mauled, slobbered on or played with. Good girl Sheba. Bad girl for digging the hole, but good girl for not chewing on the lamb.
Can't blame a gal for trying to get some more yummy turd nuggets, lol! Glad it ended well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheba is turning out to be the dog that stays with the sheep while the other dog-Sentry-runs out to greet danger. The dogs love to run up to the front fence to chase away trucks, tractors, people on 4 wheelers, people walking, etc. Sheba likes to do that too, but since the lambs have been born, she mostly stays close to them.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the idea -- suspect that will happen by their own devices should it come to that. Dogs are far more acknowledging of "needs" than we think. Actually, many animals are. Horses often help one another when hearing and vision fail a friend. I've seen it happen.

But, with dog "teams" generally one does the alert while the other keeps the livestock "in house". Should danger truly get into the fence, well, things happen. Like a goalie in a hockey match...get near the goal and they attack viciously.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I put Sentry and Sheba in the garden with the pullets out. Last time I did that, they almost killed 2. I rolled up a paper Feed bag and beat the crap out of them both until they were screaming.

They weren’t enthusiastic about returning to the scene of their previous crime. I showed them the bag and slapped it to get my point across. It took me several hours to butcher 6 big Cornish Cross. During that time, both dogs utterly ignored the pullets. The pullets finally came out of hiding in the tomato trellis and started pecking and fluttering around. Neither dog barely gave them a glance. Progress!