Sheep beginning to show signs of a little bloat...now sure why, not sure what to do...

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to take a pic and post it...this wonderful Dorper mommy sure appears "too" big to me...but, being a newbie, perhaps I have no clue what I am talking about...

It looks to me as if one side of her body has a really bad case of the bulges...

Is this Dorper simply looking a little like a pig due to a full rumen, or is this a case of bloat?

Please help us if ya can!

Thank you!

PS That is "Moo-Moo" at her side, her firstborn male ram lamb that looks a little like a Holstein cow....

View attachment 30327
How does your tummy profile look like after a good session of "all you can eat " joint ? I would still give them a little bit of hay before you let them chow down on the lush pasture. Also, compare the " leg of lamb " and " lamb chops " and " rack of rib " of the Dorper mama and "MooMoo "s with the other breed sheep .

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Only the Dorper has that huge extension on one side. Most of the other sheep have smaller "side extensions." They appear to be super happy and the lambs are growing at an unprecedented rate. At the moment, we have no hay to feed the sheep. First cuttings only and quite expensive at the moment. We will have only a month left of green grass here and then comes the "brown" season for six or so months...trying to let the sheep eat all they can while the grass is still green.

Keeping the sheep off the winter planted perennial pastures per UC Davis recommendations...

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
With bloat you'll see the left side being a little bit higher and more distended than normal. I think Dorper may have some bloat, from the way the left side is extended out. If you can still push into the side and it doesn't feel hard, then it's just a minor bloat issue; but if it feels hard and she's kicking at her belly and basically acting like she's uncomfortable (more so than what's normal), then she's one that will need some extra watching in case it gets any worse. Home remedies might work like baking soda, or if you want to spend a little extra some Alfasure or Bloat Guard may help too. It's up to you: I know the home remedies are a lot cheaper.

Or, if she is that type that has a really big rumen that sees a lot of gut-fill then that also could be a possibility. But when I first saw that picture, that upper-left distention screams "bloat" to me. If it's like that in cattle, then it would be pretty much the same with sheep (both are ruminants).

Mold may cause bloat, but so can pasture forages that are soft and easily digested. Clovers and alfalfa are notorious for causing bloat, so if you have a lot of clover in the stand, that could be part of your problem. Grasses too can cause bloat if they're in that vegetative stage, though some species are more bloat-prone as others; most grasses aren't going to be as worrisome with bloat, though, as clovers will.

I second the hay suggestion too, I think it may be a good idea to give them some roughage before they head out on pasture.