Sheep dog question, for sheep dogs herding sheep

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would it be a problem and create trouble if you are feeding a sheep dog feed made from your own slaughtered sheep?

It seems like if you didn't want to use money for dog food then you might potentially use some of the meat from your own sheep.

But in doing so would there be any problems with making the dogs more prone to going after your own sheep?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would it be a problem and create trouble if you are feeding a sheep dog feed made from your own slaughtered sheep?

It seems like if you didn't want to use money for dog food then you might potentially use some of the meat from your own sheep.

But in doing so would there be any problems with making the dogs more prone to going after your own sheep?

Nope. A dog knows the difference between a dead animal and a live one. I feed my dogs chicken and sheep bones and offal, and they guard both without ever harming the livestock. I've heard it many times down through the years that people won't feed their dogs butchering scraps or even deer bones and such to dogs because they don't want them to "get a taste for them", but every carnivore already has a taste for them.

Latest posts