Sheep don't understand the concept of shade

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My sheep are making in the common sense department (much like my children). I have plenty of well shaded areas in my pasture with lots of dirt and grass around. For some reason, even after I have constantly walked them to the shade and say there with them, after about 5 minutes they walk back to the barn entrance which is in the sun and then sit, baking in the sun. There is even water near the shade!
Why? Had anyone else had this happen? What can I do to get them to stay in the shade during the hot part of the day? It gets to around 90s now, full sun.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep animals are funny and us humans can be dumb. They will move if they get to hot if they don't it will just naturally cull your flock. I've seen about every kind of animal stand out in the full sun on a hot day and have looked at them and thought why not stand in the shade but I haven't tried to move them and haven't lost any yet. So I just let them be I ain't gonna sweat trying to make them do something they don't want to.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is starter herd of 3 so losing any of them would be catastrophic for me since just these 3 cost me over 3000$ lol.

I think I will get a movable electric fence and put it in the shade along with water for while and how that reaclimates them to a new spot

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to ask what kind of sheep do you have?

They should look for change if they get too hot. We just built some shelters but they were used to another area and didn't check them out till I closed their original area.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I find that trying to force them into the shade will cause more drama. They will figure it out dont worry! When we first let our animals into the pasture they all congregated in a small half acre when they had a huge field. After a while they all figured it out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, you have to post pictures!!! My sheep have lots of shade and they lay up under the trees in the heat.