sheep got into grain (update post #6 - diarrhea - WHAT TO DO?)

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh AAARRGH, I am the worst sheep owner, I cannot believe I let this happen -- somehow the sheep banged open the back door of the chicken building where their grain is kept, and like a TOTAL MORON I did not have it in trashcans, and I found two of the sheep having locked themselves in there, pooed all over, and scattered grain all over (presumably having eaten their fill).

The two that I found in there were Hope and Peace, the two dairybred ewe-lambs, 4+ months old now... they were raised on a high-grain diet and were getting grain free-choice at night, so this is not a TOTAL change for them, but still. The lids were still on all the chickenfeed cans, so I am pretty sure they did not get into THAT.

The two shetlands (mom and baby lamb) I do not *think* were in the building at any point with the grain, but I cannot be sure.

Hope and Peace were acting normal and not obviously bloated (but maybe a *little* fuller-looking and harder-feeling on the left flank? Not certain, too new to sheep :() but I gave them each most of 1/2 c of water-oil-bakingsoda mix just in case, and they are confined in a pen with only hay (no grass or grain).

I am leaving the shetlands out b/c they are dingdongs and I do not *think* they were in there, but am keeping an eye on them.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE DOING, besides constructing a second, sheep-proof outer door and putting the grain in traschans :)() ? I will call the vet if they seem obviously ill but my vet clearly knows little-to-nothing about sheep but *does* enjoy charging for random unnecessary farm calls :p

Oh man, I feel awful, because if something bad comes of this it will be 100% my fault, I would never leave open grain around *horses* with just a normal 'people door' between them and it, I dont' know why I was thinking 'they're only sheep, they won't get in there' :/

Pat

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update/bump:

So, I found them iin there at 4:00 (probably were there most of the afternoon)

5:00 - kind of quiet, Peace maybe a bit 'round', gave them the water/oil/baking-soda drench. Also removed their water bucket.

5:30 - lying down and didn't want to get up, Peace definitely more inflated than usual on both sides but esp. left side, dunno whether bloat or just 'full'.

6:00 - same as before but Peace very droopy and NOT wanting to get up unless made to

6:30 - both got up when I went out there, Peace baaaed at me

7:00 - both were up and nibbling hay, I swear Peace is less inflated looking (?) and they actually seem pretty normal. But I gave them about 1/4 c each of a water/baking-soda mix, just in case droopiness was acidosis, hope this was not a mistake.

Shetlands seem totally normal.

I dunno, maybe I am getting all worried about nothing, but lemme tell you there was grain ALL OVER the aisle, it looked like an elevator exploded.

PLEASE tell me if there is ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO. And how long before I can relax -- a few days?

Signed,

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Pat

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen last fall. (Before business started to pick up...the last thing I needed was an emergency vet bill!) Anyway, both adult ewes were fine. I freaked out and bit my nails for 12 hours. I watched them like a hawk!

Nothing came of it. They ate grass the rest of the evening and showed no signs of distress. THANK GOODNESS!!!

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They were fine, if puzzled, when i checked them in the middle of the night.

This morning they have major diarrhea but are acting normal. I put them out, and they seem to prefer the pile of hay I put out for them to the grass. Last seen, one was eating hay and the other was running around playing with Lambert the lamb. They are DEFINITELY less "wide" than yesterday evening, so I think they *were* swole up a bit.

I don't know whether the diarrhea is from the grain, or from the water/oil/bakingsoda I put into them. I will figure on just keeping a close eye on them at this point.

Is it worth my trying to corner them and take a wet rag to their very brown pooey hindquarters? (They were lying in it, too, ugh).

Any post-facto advice on what I *should* have done, other than obviously put a better lock on the door and lock up the grain?

The major casualties of all this were my little potted fig tree, and 10 tomatoes waiting to be planted (*today*, sigh)... I got so distracted with all the checking on sheep that I forgot to close the cold frame, and they got frosted :/ Oh well, better them than the sheeps.

Pat

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hope seems basically normal now, except for just *slightly* wet-clumpy feces.

However, Peace has really wet gloppy diarrhea (and a *lot* of it), and seems kind of droopy and hunched up).

What can I do for her???

Please, experienced sheep or goat people, I could REALLY USE ADVICE here...

Thanks for any help,

Pat

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
How about some Probios. Their gut bacteria is probably off and that would help it. If you don't have any Probios on hand, maybe some yogurt. I'm not sure what else can be done. I hope they get better.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Pat, try posting under the goat section. Many people filter for just goats, so you might get more responses....or maybe PM some of the experienced goat people. I'll bet the solution is the same for both. As long as it doesn't involve copper, that is.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's still really squirty today, although behaviorally "just about ok" but I am worried about the diarrhea...

that's a really good idea Free, thanks, off to do it now :)

Pat

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Yeah, probios and hay only. You can also give her some baking soda, but I'd try just the probios and hay first.