Sheep got into grain

RobinC.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I have had sheep for only a few months. I have 4 katahdin crosses, three ewes and a ram, all under age 2. This morning I neglected to close the lid on the chicken scratch grain 5-gallon bucket and the sheep got into it. I usually give them pellets and a handful or two of grain each, in addition to pasture. So this was way over the amount they usually get. They consumed maybe a third or slightly more of the bucket of grain between the four of them before I noticed. My ram is around 100 lbs, but my smallest, youngest ewe is probably only 35-40 pounds.

I know this is not a good situation, but I don't know exactly what to do.

Thanks!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it has been that long you may be OK or at least I hope so. Acidosis is a concern but it should have shown signs at this point. I would feed them nothing but hay and add probiotics to their water for a short time to get their systems started back in the right direction.

Have you observed them laying normally and chewing their cud?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Robin, from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason... here is some basic info that may help or provide some insight: https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/feeding-nutrition/grain-overload-acidosis-or-grain-poisoning-stock There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that your sheep have been 'helping themselves'....but they are almost certainly going to be fine. Keep them on 'prison rations' for a day or two to settle any excess gut gases.

My sheep have managed to find their way into my garden, knock over the chicken corn bin and eat the lot and many other 'little adventures', all of which they survived. Worst was when one of them managed to lift up the hatch to the sheep feed bin ( A half ton of ewe 'nuts'...ie sheep pellets within) and dump most on the ground, followed by a few consuming several pounds per animal. They developed a quite severe 'osmotic' diarrhoea, but all lived to tell the tale (and watch me hose and brush out the sheep shed which was splattered and stinking with their explosive 'output').

Let us know how they get on.

RobinC.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If it has been that long you may be OK or at least I hope so. Acidosis is a concern but it should have shown signs at this point. I would feed them nothing but hay and add probiotics to their water for a short time to get their systems started back in the right direction.

Have you observed them laying normally and chewing their cud?

They seem to be doing well today. They are up and active and eating hay. What sort of probiotics should I add to their water? I typically put apple cider vinegar in their water.

RobinC.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that your sheep have been 'helping themselves'....but they are almost certainly going to be fine. Keep them on 'prison rations' for a day or two to settle any excess gut gases.

My sheep have managed to find their way into my garden, knock over the chicken corn bin and eat the lot and many other 'little adventures', all of which they survived. Worst was when one of them managed to lift up the hatch to the sheep feed bin ( A half ton of ewe 'nuts'...ie sheep pellets within) and dump most on the ground, followed by a few consuming several pounds per animal. They developed a quite severe 'osmotic' diarrhoea, but all lived to tell the tale (and watch me hose and brush out the sheep shed which was splattered and stinking with their explosive 'output').

Let us know how they get on.

Oh my! Well, I'm glad that their misadventure will likely not be fatal! It's easy to worry about the worst case scenario when you don't have much experience yet. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only person who has had to worry about what the sheep ate! They all seem fine this afternoon, eating normally (hay!).

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
They seem to be doing well today. They are up and active and eating hay. What sort of probiotics should I add to their water? I typically put apple cider vinegar in their water.

If they are being normal today you are probably good. We use a probiotic labeled "Probios" that we get from Tractor Supply. When they are on mostly hay and little grass we give them some pretty much all of the time. That may be one of those things they could do without or one of those that it makes me feel good. :)

Latest posts