Sheep Limping

Ebbie2280

Just born
Reaction score
We have a male sheep that is limping. Upon examination he had some overgrowth on his right front hoof which we thought was done after shearing but anyway, we trimmed which didn't bother him but we found he was very tender on his dew claw. No wetness or pus anywhere. The dew claw looked cracked. ? Has anyone ever heard of issues in this area? If so, any suggestions? The vet just thought it was hoof rot but the hoof didn't look bad except for the over growth which we trimmed up. I was thinking it's strain from having walked on the overgrowth for too long. Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had any problem in sheep in that area, but I guess injury could cause issues, and orf can affect that area, too. It's difficult to imagine that a problem in this area would cause the animal to limp.

Could you take a pic.?

Footrot is pretty obvious and smells awful!

Over here, hoof trimming isn't really done any more. The theory goes like this. The hoof normally wears itself off and never becomes a problem if the animal's hoof is healthy and it is walking about on 'regular' surfaces (extremely soft ground for prolonged periods may form an exception). If the soft tissues of the hoof become infected or injured, then the animal does not put its full weight on that hoof and the 'nail' will overgrow. The overgrown hard tissues of the hoof protect the painful soft tissues.When the soft tissues heal, then the animal places its full weight back on the hoof and the overgrown hoof gets worn off. Trimming off the overgrown hoof prior to healing means that the animal is forced to walk on the 'tender' soft tissues, thereby causing pain and the hoof will take longer to heal.

So.....we are advised not to trim hooves, though there are exceptions. If the overgrown 'nail' is so long that soil, stones and other rubbish can collect under there, then enough needs to be removed to eliminate the pocket.

Anyway, back to your ram. Please get a pic. of the offending hoof if you can. That will be the best way forward.