Sheep Meat Questions

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I recently butchered three out of my four ram lambs, the last I sold as a breeder (I couldn't kill him, he had too much potential for throwing nice babies).

The meat has good flavor but seems chewy. Does it make a difference that they were still intact? I know it makes a difference for a bull vs a steer.

I plan to fix everyone next year anyway, but was just curious if that was why it was more chewy. If not, does anyone have any other ideas of why it could be?

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. No, I read that you didn't need to with Lamb. They were 7months old

Reactions: TAH

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. I know we would hang our beef and venison for 1-2 weeks before processing.

Oh dear, so that might be the problem then. If so, I guess it could be an easy fix, which would be nice! How long did they age them? I'm happy you enjoyed it so much though!

I had a lady wanting to buy some too, I'll just give her a discount and say I hope to improve quality next year.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not an expert...but did work at a Packing plant for about 6mnths....the animal has to go thru rigors before the muscle fibers Relax....this is why the meat hangs for 12-24hrs before processing....it might be that ya didn't let it rest long enough to complete the Relaxing....hope that makes sense to ya..:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've read that the ideal time for beef is 21 days @ 34-37 degrees. Slightly shorter if warmer, longer if colder, but NOT below freezing or above 40. For smaller animals, shorter times. Chickens and ducks are like 24-48 hours. I used to hang my deer a minimum of a week. Elk would be 10-14 days. For a yearling ram I'd expect no more than a week... But I don't know. :hu

Latest posts