Sheep milk?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was wondering how easy it is to get milk from a sheep, specifically a Jacob sheep. I know some people do it, and some cultures do it often, but how easy would it be to milk them out by hand (assume the sheep is good quality and nothing is wrong with it)? My main purpose for buying sheep would be the meat, but if I can also get milk from them it would mean I get more for my money. Thanks in advance!

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I've milked a Jacob to get milk for a lamb but I'm not sure I would do it regularly. Their udders are pretty close to their body, their teats are pretty small, and they are more sassy than I really want to mess with that intimately regularly. I have an older ewe that develops a huge bag and is fairly friendly that might be ok to milk if I was desperate but they aren't a dairy breed at all and I think it might be more trouble than it was worth.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would think that Jacobs are a bit difficult to milk due mainly as Roving Jacobs says to their size.

Big sheep (we have some Blue Faced Leicesters who are currently tucked up in the shed due to severely cold weather) are fine as they are both tall and tolerant.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sheep milk is very good!!! :thumbsup
Provided you have a tame sheep that is used to being tied or in a milk stand, they are easy to milk! The hardest thing about milking them is the size of their tits! They tend to be fairly short and at first your hand may cramp up a bit as you milk!!
You can make lots of tasty things out of sheeps milk!!! :)

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There are specific breeds of sheep used for milking purposes.
East Friesian Sheep are one of the best milking breeds. If you want meat, I would cross one of those ewes with a big meaty sire of another breed. That way, you can butcher the lambs for meat while keeping the mothers for milk...

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are looking for a primitive type breed the Icelandic might be a good choice. They are considered triple purpose - meat, wool, and milk. I have milked one and she was quite easy to milk.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will look into the Icelandic sheep. It's not a big deal if I can't get milk. I was just wondering if it was worth the time.
I'm still looking at breeds. I was thinking Jacobs because I want a heritage breed. I'll also look into the East Friesian but they don't look very unique.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have you looked into hair sheep? In particular Katahdins? I may be a little bit biased, but I think Katahdins are the best :)

Hair sheep do not need to be sheared. Katahdins are parasite resistant, good mothers, great meat sheep, (could be milked but I've never tried) and they make great pets in some cases. Also, with Katahdins they can be very unique. You never know what color you are going to get. You may get solid white, black, spotted, tri-colored, strange markings, the options are endless.

They are in high demand also. Most breeders sell out a year in advance...

Ok - I am done now LOL :lol:

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to Nature said:
I will look into the Icelandic sheep. It's not a big deal if I can't get milk. I was just wondering if it was worth the time.
I'm still looking at breeds. I was thinking Jacobs because I want a heritage breed. I'll also look into the East Friesian but they don't look very unique.
Icelandics are in the same "heritage" breed category as Jacobs. They are very interesting and unique sheep. I don't have any myself, but I know people with them and I have a similar breed, Shetlands. They also come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've definitely looked into Katahdins as a low-maintenance (as far as shearing goes) breed, but I was worried that in the cold weather (Michigan winters) they would get too cold without fancy shelter. Do they have thick hair in the winter and shed it in the spring, or do you have to keep them in blankets and barns?
I'll look into the Shetlands and Icelandics. Maybe I'll get a couple of breeds. Who knows? How many breeds can be safely kept together, or does it depend on the breed and owner?

Latest posts