Sheep milk?

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
People keep them up north all the time. Of course, all sheep need shelter but Katahdins do grow a thick winter coat most of the time. Then shed off in the spring.
I know several people who keep them in Canada. So, Michigian shouldn't be a problem.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All of my animals will have, at the very least, a three-sided shelter facing away from the wind. But if Katahdins grow a winter coat I may reconsider them. :) I don't mind caring for animals, but I don't want to check on them every five minutes to make sure they haven't frozen to death.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Katahdins were developed in Maine, and named after Mt. Katahdin, so you should be good ;) As long as you buy local sheep (rather than ship them up north from the south), they will be adapted to your climate and you won't have an issue.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh... I should have researched their origins before making assumptions. I'll look into them some more. :)

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back to Nature said:
Oh... I should have researched their origins before making assumptions. I'll look into them some more. :)
Katahdins are wonderful, they have calm personalities and are excellent mothers.

Mine have had no problems giving birth, and no rejections of their lambs.
Also, one had the good sense to give birth inside the barn (free access in and out, they are never locked in) when the weather was sleeting and terrible.
The others had theirs born in the pasture when the weather was good. So I trust their good sense!

I don't handle them much but they are curious and come up close to me, some even want to be scratched under their chins and or on their rumps.

It is May now and they are shedding their thick winter coats, no shearing needed is a great thing!

But I will be trimming their feet soon. And will probably even try milking the friendliest ewe, she has a udder that looks like it might be worthwhile.

Good luck with whichever sheep breed you do choose!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Katahdin ram is shedding his very think winter coat right now....he is so sleek and beautiful under all that winter hair. I am in Canada and just have 3 sided shelters and he does just fine.

Rambunctious

Just born
Reaction score
I can also attest to the Katahdins ability to withstand cold weather. Here in Colorado, mine have slept outside by choice in all but the worst snowstorms, in temps to 0 and below. I have scratching places for them to rub their wool off. I use T-posts so they can rub against the nubby 'teeth', it really helps the shedding.

No one has mentioned Dorpers. I have some girls that have bags you would not believe! One looks like it would hold 3 quarts! My ram is a Royal White, and the ewes in the flock that he came from also had enormous bags.

Milking is absolutely on our agenda, but I have some girls to convince first.;) Next, I have to find a reasonably priced milker.:rolleyes:

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Milk isn't vital to me, but I figure if I'm raising them for meat, I may as well get milk out of them too.