sheep newbie with a question/concern

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have three Texas Barbados blackbelly sheep, 1 ram and 2 ewes. We got them about two months ago. they were on the thin side when they arrived. they are in a good pasture and I supplemented thier grazing with dumor sheep feed. After a few days I put some corn in with the feed and they ate it up. Last week I ran out of sheep feed and gave them corn only which they ate as usual. third day I noticed that they did not eat all of the corn and some of thier excrement seemed a little runny. I finally got some sheep feed and for two days now they are barely eating any of it or the corn. I know changing diets messes up digestion but I only gave them straight corn for a couple of days and they had been eating it for a couple of months? I'm keeping an eye on them and not sure whether to worry or let it go for a while to see what happens? Any suggestions would be appreciated as these are the first sheep I have ever had.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
HI and welcome to the heard!!!

(*thumbs through book and finds*)

A sheep's stomach can adjust to a great variety of feed, provided that changes are made gradually. A sudden change of ration, such as a sudden access to excess food, can cause death. Rumen flora can adapt to the diet, but they cannot adapt quickly.

Any kind of abrupt change of diet will distrub the rumen, and those types of disturbances not only cause acute problems, like bloat, but also can cause chronic problems. Sudden changes interfere with the synthesis of A and B vitamins. Vit. A in particular acts as an anti-infection vitamin. Insufficient vitamin B results in lack of appetite, emaciation and weakness.

A good rule of thumb is to make any changes to a feed program no quicker than 10% per day. If you are purchasing new sheep, try to find out what kind of feed they were eating before you get them home so you can slowly switch them to your own program.

There is more if you are interested, hope this helps!
-Sally :)

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks, I was afraid of that. Only store in my area that carries sheep only feed was and it took three days to get some , I was hoping since they had been eating corn mixed with the feed it wouldn't be that drastic a change, thanks for your reply

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
barredcountrycoop said:
thanks, I was afraid of that. Only store in my area that carries sheep only feed was and it took three days to get some , I was hoping since they had been eating corn mixed with the feed it wouldn't be that drastic a change, thanks for your reply
You are welcome!

I feed mine "barnyard buffet". I also give them loose minerals and a bit of hay. Mostly their diet is grass. I only feed them (about 1/2 a cup twice a day) so I can catch them as they are wiley little buggars!

Now for payment, you must send me some gumbo! I moved away from the coast last year and I'm missin my spicy gumbo!!!! :p

(I'm new to sheep too. :) )

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
chicken and anduoille or seafood? They are most certainly wiley, they get close now but we have yet to actually put our hands on any of the three. Wow from the gulf coast to pugent sound, how awesome is that.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I moved as far away from hurricanes as I could get. :p Ike was the cherry on top of the cake for me. "That's it I'm outta here!!!"

Oh, and you can send all of it please!! I can't grow okra up here, can you believe that? It is pretty much a weed down south, but here you can only find it frozen--if you are lucky! And good Mexican food, forget about it! I suffered through Margarita withdrawals the first three months. :lol:

Pay off is good mild weather no roaches and NO HURRICANES!!!

Good luck with your wooley buggars! (Mine hate to be touched too.)

barredcountrycoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
will do and thanks again for the info.

p.s. we're close to Br so we've gotten hit by all of them katrina,ike gustave enjoy the good life in the great northwest