Sheep & Rain

WorthItFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is a quick question that I hope has a quick *answer*. (sorry about that)

A friend of mine has two adult Gulf Coast Native ewes free-ranging in a field. One has a week old lamb at its side. The ewe has been standing out in the rain with her lamb all day. Is there enough lanolin on the lamb to keep it from getting wet? Will the rain cause it to get sick? They have a shelter to get into, but won't. Advice?

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Sheep are fine in standing out in the rain all day! :D
I'm almost positive but, let smart sheep people guarantee you!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep/lambs are fine in the rain. Even the hair breeds have more lanolin than you first think, but when you start pulling their shedded hair/wool you realize your hands are covered in lanolin.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just moved my Blackbelly sheep to a new pasture and I am sure they won't use the shelter I provided for them because it's unfamiliar. I built it more for me than I did them because I'd feel guilty if they had no shelter to get in. I know they will be fine in the rain, but I still don't like the idea of them standing out in the rain.

WorthItFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay, I will let her know. I figured GC sheep were hardy enough to handle it, just wanted to check.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
An old farmer told me that sheep carry their barn on their back so there was no need to worry about them in bad weather. Most of the folks in these mountains do not have shelters of any kind for their sheep or cattle except a treeline along the pastures.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My sheep, though they are wool breed crosses, will be out grazing in the rain, snow, and even hail. The only time they come in is when they aren't able to walk because of the amount of snow on the ground.

A sheep will go in the shelter if they want to.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Adult sheep can handle rain, though freezing temps and rain is harder for them to handle than snow. A lamb may not be able to handle it though. Keep an eye on the lamb, and if it acts cold (hunched up looking) then I'd move them into a shelter. The lamb may also not want to leave its mother, so keep an eye on it.