Sheep sale policy

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does anyone guarantee their animals? I have a client who wants a replacement lamb after one I sold him died two days post sale. I will probably do it but I learned there are some questionable circumstances. I sold a healthy animal so I'm puzzled and he hasn't provided much information. Comments?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No one I have gotten my sheep from guarantees their livestock. Once the receipt of sales is signed, the animal is then the new owners property and responsibility. I'd look up state laws honestly, around here it is generally considered the buyers responsibility to ensure they are getting what they intended, not the seller. Good luck & sorry!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Before I'd even consider replacement, I'd want a doctors note from a state licensed vet stating the animal died from something that I (you the seller) would have had to be responsible for. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to send another of my animals into that sort of situation. Just MHO.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Latestarter. Too many unknowns. But if it dies from a genetic defect, worms, or cocci after two days then I could see where the seller might guarantee it. But beyond that I don't see how it could be your fault.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. We who shepherd know that sometimes things happen. I'm still trying to determine what happened and I may cross this individual off my buyer list.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would replace it, but never sell another lamb to this person. One bad customer can bad mouth you to everyone they know.

If in the future you want to guarantee your lambs, then put it writing and make a vet report and autopsy part of the deal--at THEIR expense.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like someone you don't want another lamb to go to. I would refund their money, or part of it, andavoid them after the fact! Maybe write up a liability waiver, like Baymule suggested.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is what was written on the paperwork from the goats I bought this year, if it helps anyone...

"Terms of sale:
1. We are not responsible for health of the purchased goat(s) after transfer from our farm.
2. To maintain our herd's biosecurity, we cannot accept returns on any sold, and removed from our farm goats.
3. At time of sale goat kid(s) have had first shots, been disbudded by vet, are healthy and thriving, and weaned. We can only comment on genetic lines of Dam and Sire and their performance, therefore we cannot guarantee any future coloring, height or conformation, fertility, or milk quantities if freshened, or any other genetic qualities. " (credit to Whistling Winds Farm LLC, I'm not a word theif! Haha)

I plan to do the same or similar.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does anyone guarantee their animals? I have a client who wants a replacement lamb after one I sold him died two days post sale. I will probably do it but I learned there are some questionable circumstances. I sold a healthy animal so I'm puzzled and he hasn't provided much information. Comments?

Personally I don't feel this is a cut/dry situation.

First, and don't take this wrong, but how do you know the animal was healthy?

Second, how old was the lamb?
Ewe or Ram?
On what day was it weaned?
Did you band or castrate if a ram lamb? How many days before did you do his?

I will expand on this and why I ask... I am going somewhere with this. ;)

BTW- These things do happen (lambs/kids die suddenly) ... there are factors that should be taken into consideration.