Sheep sale policy

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the contract and will use it in the future. How did l know the lamb was healthy? o_O If something happens on my end I own it and l fix it period. At present we have arrived at a compromise although I can get no details on the death. I suspect an accidental poisoning.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the contract and will use it in the future. How did l know the lamb was healthy? o_O If something happens on my end I own it and l fix it period. At present we have arrived at a compromise although I can get no details on the death. I suspect an accidental poisoning.

I didn't ask that to offend you or piss you off or make you think there was judgement.:(

We do a considerable amount of work in the community on many many farms.
A lamb or kid may "appear" fine.

If you are not running a fecal before a lamb /kid leaves your property ( preferably the day before or of) then you have no way of knowing if the lamb didn't have cocci.

A lamb/kid can be bouncy and "normal" and 24 hours later be dead from cocci.
Cocci is a killer and this year has been horrible for so many everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

Cocci does not always present with diarrhea. You will not see unthriftiness until last stage just before death.

What occurred has occurred on many many farms and end result was cocci. Most are not as informed about these things, until something happens.

Recently a 3 month old kid showing no signs of anything ( not my goat kid) happy normal, no issues... nothing... was checked (fecal analysis) because a potential buyer was coming to come see the kid the next day. The appointment was cancelled by the seller!
The fecal showed a 2100 EPG count and 200+cocci. :ep:ep:ep
She stopped counting cocci at 200 the slide was covered.
How the kid wasn't dead was anyone's guess. :hu
The day she collected goat was fine... the fecal had formed berries but they were "sticking together" some would call clump or softer. This in itself could be morning poo or diet. It would not yield a concern.
If the fecal had not been done and the prospective buyer showed up bought the goat took it home, that alone would have killed it within 48 hours. The bloom would happen and the load was already deadly high. This happens more often than people think.

Keep in mind, this is a responsible person- probably much like yourself, yet it happened.

In 2012-2013 season farms left and right had goats dropping dead - sheep same... it was a horribly wet year and it affected sheep/goats like I have never seen. I am seeing that again this year.

Even lambs/kids on prevention can be affected.

So it was not to insinuate poor care on your part in the least. :hugs

In another thread I am going to share what we have seen this year and our own personal experiences.

In our agreement we do the fecal the day the goat is leaving and they have follow up instructions... all records of fecal analysis, meds, preventatives, shots etc are all given. IF a goat dies within the first 10 days a necropsy by our STATE- LAB must be done. NOT by their vet. For us it is a $30 fee and is much more reliable than a vet office necropsy, or field necropsy.

Once the findings are reported we can then best work with the situation.

IF the client did NOT follow through with fecal analysis and findings ( if lab or vet does it) or if we did not do the follow up fecal (which we do require) they are liable if the goat died from a bloom. If respiratory and they did not take to vet or treat they are liable. Respiratory can happen from shipping fever.

Keep in mind we require ALL our clients to take our goat care class. They come for the class and then a different day they pick up the goat.Unless they are far away or out of state then we do the class on the same day. By that point we have already talked extensively and are comfortable with the prospective buyer.
So they are very educated on what can happen, what they should do etc and given several veterinarians to choose from should an issue arise.

We have NEVER had a case of any of our animals dying after leaving our farm, or a case of shipping fever.

But I do have that clause because some buyers no matter how detailed about these things as one can be will look at the goat and think - looks fine- no need.
Grrrr:barnie

Of course like the other poster said... goat got into chicken feed bloated... that was the buyers negligence.

It is tough on both sides and I empathize with you.

If the people would share more about the hows and whys etc it may make all the difference in the world.
I know for me it would- I like to give the benefit of the doubt and if there was even an accident because they were new and didn't realize this or that I would probably replace the kid. Each situation is different.

We have walked away from a few animals because we ran the fecal and found the goat's load so high that we didn't feel like it would survive the stress bloom of transport. One we did go back for but the breeder treated the goat and got it in a better position to leave the farm.

For the lamb who knows what happened... sorry it did and sorry you are having to wonder.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be harsh. And the cocci info is very helpful. As is this whole site so my apologies if I sounded flip. May be related to the 104 degree heat index. Is there a perspiration emoji?:cool:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be harsh. And the cocci info is very helpful. As is this whole site so my apologies if I sounded flip. May be related to the 104 degree heat index. Is there a perspiration emoji?:cool:

:hugs

It is a stressful situation. I probably should have tried to word it different. Lately I have been so rushed and I was on a phone for days and so it was very hard to post.

Hopefully I will get to post some threads today... so much I wanted to share with the community. Bizarre year for sure!

Reactions: TAH