Sheep scanned

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this morning saw my sheep scanned.

6 sets of triplets, 40 twins, 18 singletons. They are due from 15th March onwards, and I do my best to attend every birth (so mentally write off mid-March to mid-April).Only one mature ewe didn't get pregnant. My hogget in the avatar who weighed well under a pound at birth is expecting a singleton (she's a sturdy and healthy ewe now).

I was particularly pleased that Bill, Blue Faced Leicester ram lamb, has managed to impregnate his 5 girls. Not bad for a young man who went to the ewes aged 6 months. I would not have been surprised if the girls all scanned 'empty', but 3 singletons, 1 twins and 1 triplets mean he will have earned his silage for this year.

Well, there's many a hurdle to jump before the lambs arrive, but, for now ,they are looking good in spite of horrible wet and windy weather.

Please wish me luck......I've mastered the basics on my new camera and will be only too pleased to take pics.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WOW! :celebrateThat's fantastic success up to this point! :weee You'll be buried in new life here in a few months. How are your girls at handling trips? Can you latch the extra off on one of the ewes with a single or will those 6 stay with their moms, or all become BB's? So glad to hear your little "ewelette" is grown, fine, and going to be a mother! I'm sure that has to have you very excited. :clap She came from such humble beginnings. :bow:love So looking forward to the upcoming lambing pics when the time comes. You have beautiful animals.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that is a population explosion of the good kind! May all the birthings happen uneventfully, may your laundry always be done and may the tea kettle always be hot.

Good luck, and pictures, lots, lots, lots of pictures now, tomorrow, during birth, right after birth with the sweet lambies. You know how we live for pictures. Please and thank you.

ps: did I remember to ask for pictures? No? Pictures please and thank you.... even fuzzy ones.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
6 sets of triplets? :celebrate 40 twins as in 20 sets of two or do you mean 40 sets of twins? :D =D And 18 singles? :ep:ep:epAre you ever gonna be busy!!! :weee:weee:weee

Soon you'll be up to your armpit turning lambs and sorting out legs. :lol: Then you'll be up to your neck in lambs! :love:love:love

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you latch the extra off on one of the ewes with a single or will those 6 stay with their moms, or all become BB's?
Thanks, Latestarter....I'll try to get them adopted by a ewe who has lost their own or has a singleton, but this works far better if the 'adoptive' ewe has just given birth....and this usually doesn't happen for me....so likely to be bottle lambs if they survive.
Pictures please and thank you.... even fuzzy ones.
...The pleasure will be all mine. I am not the world's best photographer, but I'm very happy to try.Thank you for your good wishes.
40 twins as in 20 sets of two or do you mean 40 sets of twins?
That would be 40 sets of twins as in 80 lambs, Baymule. You are SO right about the turning....I'm ordering my lambing gloves right now. The multiple births can be really complicated which is why I like to be around if at all possible.However, I've also walked into the shed first thing in the morning to find a ewe who showed no signs of impending labour when I last saw her, standing with 3 healthy lambs all cleanly licked and vigorous.

I never tire of the wonder of new life....even when it arrives in the wee small hours of the morning. I'm also very aware that there will be lamb losses and the 'If only I'd recognised....' etc, but, for now, they are safe.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 2 ewes that had twins and 2 more to go that are carrying singles. I love waking up and going to the sheep lot and finding new lambs. So far, I have not had to assist in any lambings. Last year was rough for a small shepherd as myself with the losses that I had, but this year is much better.

I can't wait to see pictures of lambs! I always love your posts.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You'll be there in 2 years time Mike ;)

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is some serious sheep math. :)
Ratio 160%....but that included 8 'big' lambs who are best to wait for another year......I take these figures with a pinch of salt as there can be significant losses at and around the time of birth. I like to think of each new life as a bonus.