Sheep sounds

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
For Guinea Pigs, you can find websites that have sound recordings and you can read the sound, meaning and then click to hear a real piggie making the noise.

If I had anything other than dialup, I would start a page w/sounds.
My sheep are Babydoll Southdowns, never hear them. Except the 3 recent loud calls to me or idk what and the low, soft calls when one is separate from the others. And you have to be within a few feet to hear that one.

Chickens also have a huge vocabulary. Not just to their fellow chicken, chicks or w/e, but also a totally separate section for their people! Some you really won't hear unless you spend time with them, are near them and you can pick up the soft sounds.
Though, my ducks and Guinea fowl don't seem to have nearly the extensive vocabulary as the chickens do. I will tell you that Guinea hens are FAR more peaceful without a male! Wow the difference.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol:Queen mum.....I hear you. I know the sound you're talking about...it's kinda like....."HEY.....I'm talking to you"....."turn around and pay attention to me"!!!! They have to make that sound to get our attention....they sure can't swing their arms over their heads and wave to us.....:lol::lol:. I could just imagine some of the hand gestures some of "MY" sheep would be displaying....especially when it's worming or shearing time:/.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono....I've been breeding and exhibiting poultry since 1967........now I CAN speak chicken........lots more years of interpretation than with my sheep.:)I raised Muscovy ducks for years and do understand quite a bit of Muscovy.....plus they are originally from Brazil....I lived in Brazil for a couple of years....I think that helped.:D

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
I could just imagine some of the hand gestures some of "MY" sheep would be displaying....especially when it's worming or shearing time:/.
:yuckyuck

I could just imagine, too! :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
You can see on "Miracle's" face that she's happy and content.....and that I'm her protector and friend. They learn.....and know. And as "Sheep girl" mentioned.....there are so many different sounds...many that she'd mentioned..I'd foregotten about.....I'm picking up new sounds every year......and I've been raising sheep for 16 years.....hoping to learn some more "Sheep" words.
Rusty, that is one beautiful sheep!!! I always love to see the breed you raise, they are so incredibly beautiful with their long hair and the mottled faces.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I think I would love to hear the sound of a Mother Ewe talking to her lamb. Must be such a soft loving sound.

To all those who want to learn the sounds of your animals, I truly commend you and hats off. Now that's someone who really KNOWS their livestock or pets. Knowing the sounds of your animals has to be the most important part of raising any animal. Communication is the key. :)

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks "Beekissed"..........I'll always have Scottish Blackface. Ms. Research......I think the most important part of communicating with any animal is "listening"....and love. Spending time and observing your animal friends is a big part too. Here is a photo for you Beekissed......this is "Irish Acres Highland Peace" walking over the small land bridge in one of the pastures. She likes striking poses.......
3034_sheep_2011_113.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is a beauty and your pastures are a testament to your farming practices....lush, deep and green!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ms Research...yes...listening to the Mama "talking" to her newborn lamb is awesome! Actually, one ewe started talking to her lamb a little before it was born.

As for sounds sheep make, each one of ours makes its very own sound and I can hear who it is before I get to them. At lambing time we do lots of checks, and at night have our bedroom window partially open (yes...with the heater on the house going...not energy smart, but we can hear the sheep that way and we sleep with one eye open during lambing anyway)...a ewe beginning labour "calls" us...LOUDLY...one in particular, Dolly...has had three lambs now, and each time she has called us and did not settle into hard labour until we were there with her.

As for how we call our sheep to come back and forth from their grazing pasture to their shelter/smaller pasture for night is to call..."come babies"...that they know very well. Each sheep we've gotten was bought when they were babies....so, that's my excuse...guess it sounds funny to other people to hear us call them babies;)

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bonbeam.....nice story, I guess they're all our " babies" if you come to think of it.....(?) They learn who their friends are....Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts