Sheep with clogged nose

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I guess I'm never sure when to worry. The ewe today obviously stood out and made me investigate. I feel like in past I have been a step behind and then am struggling to fix them so want to be more ahead of the game

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is this even possibly fly bot?! I trust y'all so if these were your ewes, what would you do?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first guess (and it is guessing) that perhaps there is something out there that the questionable ones with the "not regular droppings" are eating something. One of my new ewes decided acorns were tasty. NOT PRETTY end result ( few days kept in the corral and barn and she was fine - I picked up what acorns there were and all is well now)
Snotty nose and breathing sounds --- another out there guess (@Baymule @Ridgetop) perhaps LA-200?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
With snotty noses, I would assume first that it was dust related. Is your hay dusty? It could also be seasonal allergies or an upper respiratory infection. Check temperatures. Give antibiotics if you’re really concerned.

I don’t like using pour-on dewormers or horse paste on sheep. The pour-on doesn’t absorb as well and the horse paste is designed to be given a whole tube at a time so they aren’t easy to give an accurate dose to a smaller animal.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hay is slightly dusty but to be honest they don't need eat too much hay. They are.mainly out on pasture. I was thinking mineral or something forming dust as the material on her nose was black ish but she sounds congested and was breathing more nasaly last night so not sure what's going on. Still worried

Pasture includes wooded areas with many unknowns and honestly even if there were acorns I wouldn't be able to get them up. I noticed wether had some diarrhea too so suspect they are eating something out there....we'll see about that.....

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
To update this morning the ewe I'm most concerned about was able to put my finger in nostril and removed some more.crust/boogers and mainly black chunk but there was a bloody tinged plug. Maybe from irritation? Removed some other from another ewe all black crusty. Still sounding nasaly.

Ewes are also pregnant so with that in mind still ok to do antibiotics and/or dewormer?
I don't like to give meds unless truly needed

I do have la 300, penicillin and nuflor but nuflor expired by a year @purplequeenvt @SageHill @Ridgetop @Baymule

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say yes, it is safe to treat them with antibiotics and wormer. On the expiration date I think it’s ok, but someone with more experience can comment on that.

Cooper! (Ram in front yard for safety from coyotes)quit butting your hay tub around! I gotta go scoop hay before he pees on it.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn’t give anything without checking temperatures first, but the LA 300 should be perfectly safe to give to pregnant ewes.

I would wait on deworming until after they lamb. Some dewormers are supposedly safe to give during pregnancy, but unless they are loosing weight, I wouldn’t worry about internal parasites right now.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn’t give anything without checking temperatures first, but the LA 300 should be perfectly safe to give to pregnant ewes.

I would wait on deworming until after they lamb. Some dewormers are supposedly safe to give during pregnancy, but unless they are loosing weight, I wouldn’t worry about internal parasites right now.
T 102.4 so not giving antibiotics....but not sure what else to do....