Sheep with clogged nose

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this. Probably not fly bot - if this is the parasite to which I think you refer. I bought an older hrned Dorset once that had fly bot (I think) and I oticed it when he was penned in a small stall and I found worms (looked like white maggots) in his water bucket. Worming took care of it. The worms were in the water bucket because when he drank he sneezed them out. He did not have any black r crusty stuff in nostrils but did sound nasally and occasionally would cough.
Last summer while we were in Texas we had a ewe with a stuffy nose and her throat was clogged with mucous too. DS1 called to say that he had cleared it out with the "snot sucker" we have. Large bulb aspirator that I keep when my grandchildren are born and it comes home from hospital. I guard these like gold since I can't find any this large in the drug stores. I diagnosed summer pneumonia over the phone and had DS1 give her LA200 since that was all we had. He gave her IM 5 cc for a week and she responded. She relapsed about a week or so later but he was with us in Texas by them so had DS2 give her 45 cc LA200 for another week. She recovered but developed mastitis on one side of her udder. She lost her ewe lamb but kept the ram lamb. If I have been home I would have pulled the ewe lamb and put her on a bottle. Unfortunately by the time I returned the ewe lamb was dead although the ewe herself had recovered. The ram lamb was a little stunted and the ewe and lamb were culled together.
Try worming the ewe with a wormer that is OK to use on regnant ewes, and check that LA200 is OK for pregnant ewes before using. Since the stuff in the nostrils is crusty and black/dark brown, sounds like she inhaled some dirt. Since some of the other sheep are showing same symptoms they probably all got into the same stuff. Have you had high winds lately? Main symptoms of worm infestation is not usually breathing problems but loss of weight and diarrhea.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get a diagnosis... assuming you have also treated and hopefully on the road to being healthy.
Just found out today. Got ivermectin in most of them. 2 flighty sheep are a problem and I can't get them! Also most ewes are close to lambing so was worried about giving albazen. Without rotational pasture will this be a constant problem?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just found out today. Got ivermectin in most of them. 2 flighty sheep are a problem and I can't get them! Also most ewes are close to lambing so was worried about giving albazen. Without rotational pasture will this be a constant problem?

Valbazen shouldn’t be given within the first 45 days (1st trimester) of pregnancy, but it should (according to the label) be safe at the end of pregnancy.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Valbazen shouldn’t be given within the first 45 days (1st trimester) of pregnancy, but it should (according to the label) be safe at the end of pregnancy.
Unfortunately I think some are possibly still within first trimester. Would ivermectin be sufficient as a dewormer? I know with them all together if I don't treat.them all it's probably not going to clear up.