Sheep with swollen glands?

Faith Hope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I have an adult sheep that has 2 large swollen bumps on her neck. They are right at the bend of her neck, one on each side. I noticed them a couple of days ago when I was petting her. She appears fine otherwise; she is eating, drinking, and poop is normal.

Any ideas what it could be?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have noticed an increase of swollen glands on the Diseases-Goat forum...some problems with goats and sheep are much the same, so you might want to go to the Goat disease forum and read those threads for some information on possible causes and treatments. There are some good links on there too.

Hope it is nothing serious!!!

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Same here. I read about a disease called CL. It has something to do with raised bumps on the neck. I've never heard of it before though. I didn't even know sheep could get it but they can.

cedarcurve

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
good info on there with regards to the negitivity of the ACV for those people who use so much of it.

I do not think this is CL, as we get them nearly every year- particularly on the rams.

Most often cl is seen on various parts of the body from what I have seen. I believe you can slso expect a rapid loss of weight with the cl bumps.

As already stated, give the bumps about 2 weeks and lance it, squeeze the toothpaste green pus out, and flush it with iodine. It will heal and be gone. It won't do any good to try and lance the bumps until they become soft and wool-less, right now they are just solid bumps with nothing to come out.

I currently have 2 rams developing these bumps.

Faith Hope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks so far for all of your advice. I will let you know how it turns out. The links have been very informative. It is great to have a resource like this!