SheepGirl's 2012 Lambing Thread

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well my ram escaped from his pasture to go join the ewe flock. Unfortunately for him, he was moved back. Fortunately for me, it was easy: just needed a bucket of grain to shake! :)

But I hope he didn't breed any of them. He's related to four out of the six in some way or another. And four of the ewes are my neighbors (two of which he's related to). The sheep weren't exposed for a 2011 lambing nor were they supposed to be exposed for a 2012 lambing because my neighbor has his farm for sale. He downsized his flock to just his purebred Babydolls (I miss the Montadales :() and one 75% Babydoll ewe.

I did notice yesterday, though, that the ewe in my avatar (my ram's dam) was in heat yesterday--she was standing right next to him with just a fence in the way. So I guess Billy got tired of not breeding anyone for the past two years and he made his debut to the girls.

So if he did breed her, she'd be due Memorial Day weekend--the weekend, where, every year, we have a family reunion (all my aunts/uncles/cousins...all city people...come up for the weekend and that Saturday we go to my great aunt's house and then on Sunday we do tourist-y stuff, like go to D.C. or Gettysburg). So that's exciting, right? :th If she wasn't bred, then she'd be coming in heat around January 20th. Sucks for her 'cause she won't be bred again :p

I'm pretty confident that she was bred though. When we were breeding the sheep, she would always be the first ewe to be bred and to lamb, or be one day behind another ewe (even when she was a youngin'). But this is her fifth to seventh heat (depending on when she started cycling this past year) so I'm pretty sure her body is like "we've waited soo long. we must get pregnant!" So who knows lol.

But if I can catch her tomorrow in the field, I will take some pictures of her for you guys...back, top, side, the whole sha-bang, and then that way if she was bred, we can track her pregnancy through pictures...though I wouldn't expect any noticeable differences in her body until the third or fourth month.

And I will more than likely be selling these babies when they reach 90-110 lbs (around October/November). Hopefully the auction prices for lambs will still be $2 a pound :fl

So maybe she will help me mix it up for you guys...get you away from all those kidding threads...and maybe we will start a lambing thread! :weee

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
To keep you held over until I get updated pics, here is the ewe:
5960761579_e5dcc42bcb_z.jpg

Taken 7/7/11

Her lover/baby daddy/son:
5960640103_58493c08e5.jpg

Taken 5/16/11

One of the lambs that resulted from the last time this accidental cross happened (so will be full brother to possible future lambs):
5960659431_cf5503af6e.jpg

Taken 5/16/11

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Looking forward to hear the news.

Lambs, goats, rabbits, chickens, alpacas, don't matter to me. Love to see new life!

K

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was able to get some updated pics earlier today. Sorry for them being so dirty--it's been real muddy and they love to lie out in the pasture in the mud rather than coming into a nice dry barn. :rolleyes: Silly sheep.

Unfortunately my ewe is getting a little wild so I was only able to get pics when she was out in the pasture, rather than me haltering her and holding her still. But my ram, though I don't trust him, is still veryyy friendly and always comes running up to the fence to say hi to me.

Billy:
4485_dscn0054.jpg

Rear (one in the middle)
4485_dscn0104.jpg

Side (larger white ewe on left)
4485_dscn0077.jpg

Front
4485_dscn0102.jpg

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
Ohhhh... Lambing thread!!! :weee :woot :pop
Maybe! :D

Ms. Research said:
Looking forward to hear the news.

Lambs, goats, rabbits, chickens, alpacas, don't matter to me. Love to see new life!

K
Me too. I love lambs. Their high pitched baas make me melt :p Will find out in about ten days if she took.

bigshawn said:
Wow, love em...........

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
You do have a awesome flock.

Hoping no one is pregnant by that escaping ram.

But hoping to see babies soon!

K

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sheep 201 said:
In sheep, the length of the estrus cycle ranges from 13 to 19 days and averages 17 days.
Well thirteen days would've been January 16 and nineteen days would be January 22. So far she hasn't come into heat, but I still have four more days to see!

Ms. Research said:
You do have a awesome flock.

Hoping no one is pregnant by that escaping ram.

But hoping to see babies soon!

K
Thanks! I'm hoping no one was bred, but deep down inside I'm hoping SOMEONE was! :D I really miss having babies around. :(