SheepGirl's 2012 Lambing Thread

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
So back to the aggressive ram thing. How old is your aggressive ram now? At what age do they start to act "ramish" with hormones? Dipsy is the sweetest ram and he is so easy to handle. He never butts. He's almost 2. Now I have a Jacob ram, too, who is 6 months old, Beastie Boy. I just love him to death, he is so sweet, too. But I dread to think if he starts getting aggressive, because he has 5 HUGE horns that surely will be dangerous!
There is a huge range in when a ram gets aggressive/how aggressive he gets. In my experience, if they are 2 or 3 years and not aggressive they will probably be good. But again, there are no set rules and no guarantees.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Hey Sheepgirl, the male vet at the practice I told you about raises sheep, and he was breeding some Texels (and crossbreeding) so you may want to give him a call. Dr. L. :)

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it, that's the guy I've been emailing :lol: It didn't even occur to me lol.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
So back to the aggressive ram thing. How old is your aggressive ram now? At what age do they start to act "ramish" with hormones? Dipsy is the sweetest ram and he is so easy to handle. He never butts. He's almost 2. Now I have a Jacob ram, too, who is 6 months old, Beastie Boy. I just love him to death, he is so sweet, too. But I dread to think if he starts getting aggressive, because he has 5 HUGE horns that surely will be dangerous!
Cormos rams are known for being sweet. The lady I got mine from called them "love puddles" and I probably couldn't get my boy to be aggressive towards me for all the grain and ladies in the world. Always be cautious and don't encourage rough behavior but I wouldn't worry about him getting mean. All my Jacob boys are pretty easy going as well. I wouldn't put up with a mean ram with horns and I think most other breeders feel the same way. They won't seek me out for cuddles like my cormo does but they're perfectly respectful and keep their distance when I'm working in their pasture even if they're curious about what I'm doing.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I learned something interesting about the tongues. Thanks.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Finally got those pictures from a week ago uploaded...

Here's Ciqala, my old ewe.
DSCN5712.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that I love the color of her eyes?
DSCN5823.jpg

Ciqala and Maggie really do get along quite well. All Maggie does is sniff & lick the sheep and then she loses interest in them so I guess Ciqala doesn't see her as a threat :p
DSCN5787.jpg

Paulie wanted to get in a picture before I overload you guys with lamb pictures :D
DSCN5762.jpg

Okay...I love this picture of Katy Perry :) I focused the clover and then I moved my camera to include my lamb and I love it.
DSCN5737.jpg

Doesn't the white marking on Lady Gaga's muzzle look like a question mark? or is it just me...lol
DSCN5819.jpg

Like I said...Lady Gaga has such a pretty face :)
DSCN5747.jpg

Sister kisses
DSCN5740.jpg

OMG I love this expression Lady Gaga gives...I've only seen her make that face once before and I'm glad I got both on camera!
DSCN5746.jpg

And, just cause....here's a picture of my kitten. You see that heart on her? it's sideways, but it's still a heart!
DSCN5689.jpg

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My lambs will sometimes stick their heads through the fence too on those larger squares. I hate it when they do that and they think there is greener grass on the other side, of course.

Latest posts