SheepGirl's 2012 Lambing Thread

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Lambs turned 90 days old today. I'm shocked that Lady Gaga beat Katy Perry for ADG!

Katy Perry
90 day weight: 40.5 lbs
Post-Weaning ADG: 0.367

Lady Gaga
90 day weight: 31.5 lbs
Post-Weaning ADG: 0.383

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I weighed the lambs Saturday since they turned 120 days old.

Katy Perry
120 day weight: 52.0 lbs
30-day ADG: 0.383

Lady Gaga
120 day weight: 40.5 lbs
30-day ADG: 0.300

I currently have them on about a 1/2 lb of grain each so I'm hoping they will pick up their pace in terms of ADG. At this rate KP will be 90 lbs by the beginning of Jan. Lady Gaga I don't think will breed. Katy Perry I have hope for. I just hope she can be 90 lbs by mid December, so I will probably increase her feed.

I blame Lady Gaga's lack of gain on her issue with an infection earlier this month. She was on antibiotics for 12 days trying to get the infection out of her joints. It's pretty much gone and the lambs jump around and play with each other and run around the place...something she couldn't even do when I first let them out on pasture.

---

But I took them to the fair in the backseat of my car :cool: I put a tarp down and then I put a medium sized dog crate in the backseat (which barely fit lol ... I had to collapse it first to get it to fit and then I assembled it in the back of the car) and bedded it with towels. I got a picture of them in my rearview mirror :p but we were jammin out to pop music...you know, like Katy Perry & Lady Gaga :p :lol: but I didn't have the music too loud. I didn't want to stress 'em out even more than they already were haha.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Weighed lambs today (sadly without my new scale--had to use my bathroom scale, hopefully for the last time...I had a hard time reading the scale with a big lamb in the way! :))

Katy Perry
150-day weight: 62.0 lbs
30-day ADG: 0.333

Lady Gaga
150-day weight: 50.5 lbs
30-day ADG: 0.333

They each gained exactly 10 lbs in 30 days...considering they were given 1/2 lb grain per day (15 lbs each, total) I'm happy with that number. I think I'm going to increase Katy Perry's grain to 3/5 lb (~9.5 oz). Hopefully she will convert it just as well.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since my last post!

Well it has been one year since this thread started due to my ram going through the fence gate and here are the changes in my flock:

I had two ewes, a wether, and a ram and they lived at my neighbor's farm.
Today I have four ewes and a new ram (bought with the money from selling the wether and ram) and they live at mine.

The lambs that resulted from this are healthy & are 70+ lbs. The adult ewes are now 3 months bred, in lamb to my new Texel sire. One of the ewe lambs is (hopefully) ~2 weeks bred and is due 5/18 if she took. I don't think Lady Gaga will breed this year.

It is so neat seeing the changes from the past year.

If you enjoyed this lambing thread, you will enjoy my 2013 lambing thread -- read it here: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22468

THANK YOU for a great year! I enjoyed sharing my lambs & sheep with you guys!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much has changed for you sheepgirl. It is fun to follow your journal and threads!

You sure are a help and a hoot sometimes! Here's to a great new year! :thumbsup

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes it's so fun to watch the progress. And now we are all familiar with the beloved Lady Gaga and Kate Perry. :love Hard to imagine they are already old enough to be bred. Will be watching anxiously in your 2013 lambing thread for updates! And it will be interesting to see what develops in a year's time. :clap

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wanted to update that Katy Perry is now a mom! Ten days before her first birthday she gave birth to a single 9.8 lb ram lamb. You can see pictures and get more info on page 28 of my 2013 lambing thread.