Sheepskins back from the tanners

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I have at least one jacob going to freezer camp next week and I'm definitely breaking out my tanning chemicals and doing a rug now that I've seen those! I've already had people asking for skulls too. Its so nice to use every part of the sheep.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have at least one jacob going to freezer camp next week and I'm definitely breaking out my tanning chemicals and doing a rug now that I've seen those! I've already had people asking for skulls too. Its so nice to use every part of the sheep.

Now I am really jealous!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do not tease me!
You truly have the most beautiful Jacobs I've ever seen! :love
I keep wondering if we started with a bottle baby or just weaned if they'd be sweeter. :hu

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
They'll never be goat tame, but a number of mine come over and mob me for the neck rubs they think they deserve. It seems to be at least partly genetic, as it is mostly one ewe and her daughters and grand daughters, but halter breaking them seems to help too. Mine just had to learn that I could be trusted even when I was doing scary stuff and I often have cookies in my pockets.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They'll never be goat tame, but a number of mine come over and mob me for the neck rubs they think they deserve. It seems to be at least partly genetic, as it is mostly one ewe and her daughters and grand daughters, but halter breaking them seems to help too. Mine just had to learn that I could be trusted even when I was doing scary stuff and I often have cookies in my pockets.
Ours are halter broke, will come for treats but are always wondering if you are going to try and"catch" them. The ewe sometimes lets you scratch her chin but for the most part do not want to be touched. It wouldn't be that bad but they ram the goats and try to keep the goats from all feeders even hay feeders. Love the look of them and the wool just wish they were friendlier. I LOVE that they are so parasite resistant and pretty much live off the land. They get no food except in Dec- Mar, then it is 1/2 cup plus hay. VEry HARDY!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
@RovingJacobs, what chemicals do you use. I 've wanted to do it at home, but didn't have the time nor the courage to do it for my first ones.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
@RovingJacobs, what chemicals do you use. I 've wanted to do it at home, but didn't have the time nor the courage to do it for my first ones.

I've used the rittel EZ tanning solutions before, but I've only done small furbearers before.They have a kit specifically for sheepskin I might try out. The first skin I tanned I did in my dorm room in college so I'm up for an adventure :p

Ours are halter broke, will come for treats but are always wondering if you are going to try and"catch" them. The ewe sometimes lets you scratch her chin but for the most part do not want to be touched. It wouldn't be that bad but they ram the goats and try to keep the goats from all feeders even hay feeders. Love the look of them and the wool just wish they were friendlier. I LOVE that they are so parasite resistant and pretty much live off the land. They get no food except in Dec- Mar, then it is 1/2 cup plus hay. VEry HARDY!

Yeah, they actually sound like pretty typical jacobs. They can be pretty sassy with other animals and are pretty cat-like in wanting to do everything on their terms. I have cormos (even a spotty one!) for my cuddly friend sheep who love hugs so I mostly laugh at my bratty, attitudinal jacobs.

Kimberly J. Mayo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband and I tried our hand at tanning one of our 2 year old bull hides. It was an awful lot of work and is not nearly as flexible as we would have liked it to be, but it's a wonderful wall hanging and excellent conversation piece. You can see it here hanging on the wall behind me and my granddog.
P1110146.JPG
It does get quite dusty though as I am not a great house keeper! hahahaha

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I actually tanned two sheep hides about a week ago myself. Mine also turned out kind of stiff. My big problem is getting the dirt out of the wool since my dogs pulled them through the dirt prior to tanning