Shelly Hoof?

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So this ram lamb has been lame since Monday. No foot rot, no signs of scald, no signs of anything but a low temp on Monday night. I have exhaustively been researching what it could be. Just a reminder, there are NO vets on this island that deal with sheep. I still think I'm dealing with multiple issues, but the lameness is my biggest concern. Does this look like Shelly Hoof?
IMG_20161104_155810.jpg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh, have never heard that term for hoof wall separation but I like it--it's more concise! Shelly hoof!

What temp was his low temp? My black lambs tend to get up to 103 degrees on a warm day and that is normal for them. His hooves look great, by the way, other than the shelly hoof.

That happens to my sheep quite often when they have had hoof rot or other illnesses in the past and healed or partially healed from it--the pad then stayed separated from the wall. Many of my sheep hooves always look like this. It's not a problem in and of itself. It's mainly a problem because A) there could be pad deterioration/rot up in there that you can't see, B) more bacteria can get trapped in the hoof causing more rot and/or separation, C) various pieces of debris can get up there and cause infection.

The vet would tell me to use copper sulfate (be cautious using this with sheep) or zinc sulfate and squirt some up inside that caved in area between the hoof wall and pad. That will kill any hoof rot bacteria up in there. We order zinc sulfate online in both powder and liquids for different applications. You can also give them zinc sulfate orally to help with the problem (small doses are best so you don't stress them). Some producers use a foot bath with zinc sulfate as a treatment and/or preventative, but we've never had the numbers or equipment to do this.

Even if it's not rot of some kind, the zinc sulfate will strengthen the hoof walls and pads. Then you keep the sheep out of mud or wet pastures and as dry as possible for 2-3 months for healing, but this is not 100% necessary. We have a hard time with the idea of taking sheep out of the fields, so we always just leave them on the damp fields and then bring the sheep up to the barn once a week for trimming and treatment.

Hope that helps!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With no vet there, hopefully Hawaiian would have already given a Bo-Se injection just in case?
How could she have given a Bo-Se injection without a vet prescription?

And shouldn't she find out if her area is deficient first?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
BoSe is not going to do any damage or poison or overdose the system with one injection. Although there aren't any sheep vets, I would think that hawaiian must have some type of large animal vet that they have dealt with, and bo-se and mu-se can be requested. Gonna have to get some sort of a vet relationship for after Jan 1st anyway. It's not like bo-se or mu-se is a "drug" that is going to require security 4 clearance to use either. A vet used to dealing with any cattle should be receptive to it's use.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
How could she have given a Bo-Se injection without a vet prescription?

And shouldn't she find out if her area is deficient first?

I was sort of hoping she had access to a cattle/horse vet if not a sheep and goat vet... that's where I get my Bo-Se. Selenium gel is OTC but certainly more risky for overdose. You can order the goat version online though, so that might be less concentrated.

With an animal of that size (as opposed to a newborn lamb), one correct injection of Bo-Se will not overdose unless they have been getting excessive quantities of Selenium. I'm only saying this because if it were me, I would go ahead dose once just in case. I have had plenty of lambs weak from Selenium deficiency, but none that have died of an overdose. But I think Southern must have more info than me to wonder if it's WMD.

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm definitely thinking white muscle disease also. He has no other symptoms other than the lameness. Just went to Del's farm supply and bought up their entire vet section for sheep. Unfortunately, the other livestock people have a private in house vet. I will be scheduling them an appointment with the only other one that has appointments starting the beginning of December. Gave him a big dose of oral vitaminE yesterday. And heading home now with nutri-drench, electrolytes (even though he doesn't have scours), oxytetracycline, and injectable vitamin B complex. He wants to get up and walk, he just can't, it's so sad. Thank you all for the advice and info. This is such an awesome community.