Shelly Hoof?

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How is he doing?
Nothing has changed with giving him the Nutri-drench. But if it's white muscle disease, I guess I shouldn't expect it too since the selenium and E levels wouldn't be therapeutic. I'm going to call the vet I called the other day back and tell her to just give me the Bo-Se.

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That hoof looks pretty normal to me. Does the hoof stink? (Footrot smells awful)
Was the area at the top of the cloves normal (no white areas indicative of scald).
What is the top of the hoof (where it attaches to the leg) look like? Here Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis (CODD) would be a common cause of lameness. Unlike footnote the top of the hoof is affected and the treatment is quite different.
Hopefully he's getting better in any case.
Definitely not scald or Hoof rot. No signs of any trauma on his hoofs either. WMD is definitely what I'm thinking it is. Our soil is not the greatest but I didn't think it was that bad, now I know. If the vet is resistant to give me the Bo-Se without seeing him, I'm gonna have no choice but to figure out the ratio of E to Selenium on my own and pray it works. I'm worried at this point he's gonna have permanent joint damage from laying for so long.

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey everyone, he passed away this evening. I had to run to town to pick up some groceries and when I got back he was gone:hitHis death will not be in vain though. I have been educated more in the last three days than I had the last three months. I'm gonna take a time out to evaluate my life and focus on my other animals (my chickies), who are actually hatching tonight:love...life and death in the same night! I still want to cross my ewe with a Romney, but she won't be old enough for a while, so we will cross that bridge when we get there. A HUGE mahalo to all of you for the feedback and advice and support.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Once again, so sorry that you lost him. You did the best you could with what you had available. Congrats on the new chicks.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry you lost him. Learning is good, but it's tough to learn that way :( :hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you lost hm. I lost a goat kid to WMD a few years ago, and he had no signs; I found out when I had a necropsy done. It can be a tough learning curve sometimes. :hugs

Latest posts