ShepherdO's First Lambing - Pics included :)

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, Lambing has officially begun :) I have 8 ewes due to lamb this year (my first real lambing), and Tammy the beach ball was due yesterday, Sunday Feb 24th. My wife and I had to go off to a speaking engagement and were gone the entire weekend. However, my 10 year old son, with the help of my parents, were charged with holding down the 'farm' while we were away, including twice daily visits for feeding the sheep, collecting the eggs, etc.

I had a feeling Tammy would lamb early, so on Friday evening I called my son and told him to lock her inside the sheep lambing shed that night - it was probably between minus -15-20 degrees C at our place, and it's often quite windy.

Anyhoo, it was a good 'hunch', as when my son came back Saturday morning to feed the animals, Tammy had given birth to triplets, with the third still very wet. Over the course of the weekend, while we were still away, I received little bits of information basically along the lines that the two ram lambs were doing well, but that Tammy (3rd lambing, twins and trips in the past, apparently) had rejected the third, a eweling.

After numerous attempts by my parents (my mum was a midwife and experimented with sheep-raising for a couple years when i was very young) to bond them, they ended up bringing the ewe back to their place, keeping it in their room in a Rubbermaid bin, and bottlefeeding it. They were careful to milk out as much colostrum from the ewe as possible, and have been feeding her milk, cream and egg homemade replacer.

It appears that she has an issue with her left rear leg - it's hyperextended, bending forward now and then. It's not too bad, I don't think, as it' stay smostly vertical. My dad's a retired physiotherapist and he was talking muscles and rehabilitation stuff - but I'm hoping it's just one of those things that fixes itself. I've done some reading and it seems that this is often/usually the case. I'm considering getting some selenium injection from the feed store today, although I'm not sure if it's white muscle disease, or just from being cramped in the womb. Anyhoo, I think this is probably why the mum rejected it, as well as perhaps the fact that it was born a while after the others - not sure.

Well, I wasn't even there for the first lambing, something I've been preparing for for so long, reading and researching 'being dilligent to now the state/face of my flocks', as Proverbs 27:23 says. But I'm pretty happy I wasn't there in the end, and that it all seems to have gone well. We'll be bringing the little one back home today, and I guess I'll have to get used to little sleep for the next while... my four human kids are all long past that stage, so we'll see how it goes!

I had my students predict the date, number and sex of Tammy's lambs, and allowed the winner to pick the names. The ewe is 'Tim-Tam', and the rams are 'Timbit' (Canadian name for Donut Holes) and 'Filmore' (not sure where that came from.'

Anyhoo, they are SUPER cute. The ewe is a lovely dusty colour, resembling her father (shrophsire-texel cross), similar to the brown smaller ram. The other ram lamb is white, with gingery-coloured lower legs and head/forelock, and he has enormous ears! Not sure where that came from.

I have another lamb due in a couple days, but I think I mixed up the dates between my two black ewes, b/c the one that's supposedly due soon doesn't look ready, and the one with 2 weeks to go looks ready to pop! They're both in the pre-lambing pen, and we'll see what happens!

Pics are below:
Resized_20190224_071952_5691.jpeg

Above and below are the two ram lambs. Very different in appearance, beyond colour even.

Resized_20190224_072228_6371.jpeg

Below is Tim-Tam, the ewe. She looks very shropshire - her head, at least, and based on the little I know :)
IMG_4271_2.jpg
IMG_4284.jpg

Dale HWA

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats!!! i'm also into my first lambing season, we've already had 1 ram lamb, and i have only 2 more ewes to deliver, but we are going away this weekend so i'll be putting them in lambing pens... i really hope they hold off until i get home!!!

I love this party of our hobby. its so exciting, the kids and Wife love it too which makes it all that much sweeter.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a sweetheart.

Don't worry too much about a ewe rejecting a triplet. Only the strong and well-fed young ewe with 3 equal(ish)-sized triplets do well (and then best if all the triplets are the same sex). I usually take a triplet off ewe mum....she doesn't mind, being unable top count and having only two teats.

The hyperextended rear leg probably doesn't mean anything sinister if there are no other signs of selenium deficiency. The lamb probably had his leg extended in the womb, and there would have been no room to flex it with all those little foetal parts in there. The leg will sort itself out over the course of the next few days provided that you are able to flex it yourself now.

It can be difficult to tell who will lamb first (unless you see them mated) as some girls, particularly those who have lambed before and have 'lost their waistlines' get huge bellies and 'cow-like' udders, whereas others hide their condition very well. Girls expecting multiple lambs tend to have a shorter gestation.

I have a couple of girls right now who are expanding daily and are getting truly huge, though they shouldn't be due for at least another 17 days (no tup in with them). 2 of my biggest girls are Blue Faced Leicesters and they tend to lamb nearer to 140 than 150 days, so they may come in 10 days or so.

Once again...lovely.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay... so I think my second ewe might be starting labour. Bummer b/c it's 10:45 pm... I was just out feeding the bottle triplet (I'm going to keep it out in the lambing shed in the next jug beside its mum and brothers) and Sabine, whom I separated earlier as she's due tomorrow, runs around when I get near her... she's not super friendly on a good day, but she's over the top right now. Also I think there's a bit of discharge/goo at the bottom of her vulva, so I'm thinking the process has begun at least.

Of course, it could all mean nothing... but methinks I'll bring the triplet bottle ewe back inside now :)oP) and into its Rubbermaid Container home, and then put Sabine inside the other jug. Crossing my fingers... And to think I have 2 others due in 3-4 days. Boy, I have a feeling that the sleep situation is going to be like having people babies again! Oh well, it's a great distractor from life's unending problems, isn't it!

SheperdO

Latest posts