She's getting close, I think. Whatcha think?

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think my Boer doe (goat) is in labor. She has been nuzzling her sides this afternoon and I saw her paw the ground when I went out to give them some hay. She ate, but she was very slow at it. She's normally a vigorous eater and wastes no time gulping it down. There's no mucus showing, but her pooch is pink and swollen (has been for about 2 weeks). I never saw the Buck breed her, but I estimated her due date based on their behavior as Jan. 15. That's next week.... pretty close. It's supposed to snow tonight! Ugh!

Am I just imagining things, or do you think she's in labor? :barni

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
I think my Boer doe (goat) is in labor. She has been nuzzling her sides this afternoon and I saw her paw the ground when I went out to give them some hay. She ate, but she was very slow at it. She's normally a vigorous eater and wastes no time gulping it down. There's no mucus showing, but her pooch is pink and swollen (has been for about 2 weeks). I never saw the Buck breed her, but I estimated her due date based on their behavior as Jan. 15. That's next week.... pretty close. It's supposed to snow tonight! Ugh!

Am I just imagining things, or do you think she's in labor? :barnie
Sounds like she may be. Keep a close eye on her!

And I have a friend in Elizabethtown! ;)

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Are her ligaments soft?
They are different each time I check her. Sometimes I can feel them, sometimes they are harder to feel.

It looks like she was just pulling my leg. It shouldn't be much longer!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It shouldn't be much longer!
Said with such optimism....She's listening you know...now it'll be March.

(Just kidding...and hoping she goes soon for you...)

Goat of Many Colors

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good Luck... My doe drove me nuts for 9 days before she kidded. My DH thought he saw some mucus in the back so we moved her into the kidding stall. After 8 days of pawing the ground and nadda I finally got her locked into the milk stand to check her tail ligaments. I did not feel any and the whole area felt like jello. 26 hours later she finally kidded. Never had any ropey gooey mess. The only signs before she started straining was her baby talking to her sides. She normally is not verbal at all but sometimes grunts like a pig!

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update: Today is her unofficial due date. She has been showing some clingy yellowish mucus (but not strings). Her sides are also starting to hollow out and the kids have moved. She's not as wide as she was before, but her belly is closer to the ground. So, let's take a guess... how much longer do you think she has to go?

327_1-15-10_099.jpg

327_1-15-10_100.jpg

(As a side note, no, we don't shave their udders since we don't milk them.)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My very first impression is...not long.

But then I do what I always do when I'm trying to estimate things like this and go "Well, but..I dunno...maybe she's just not filled up on hay yet, or ....."

:lol: :gig

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd guess pretty soon (12/48 hrs) on your girl butttttt....
Don't ask me, I've announced twice today w/ authority that Hillary was in labor and....still nuttin'. Now Hillary is eating dinner like normal.
Apparently, they'll go when they're good and ready and not a minute before...no matter what we want.
Ingrateful heifers, the lot of them.