shes not eating????

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be suspicious of Toxemia as well. I have never had a goat with it but the symptoms fit. My goats will eat until the minute they go into labor and sometimes even that doesn't stop them. I would be calling the vet and I would be adding nutri-drench, karo syrup, and molasses to her water in the meantime. This is nothing to mess around with.

She really needs some hay. The sweet feed is a a great secondary feed, corn is useless for protein, and they need protein to make milk. Alfalfa hay would be best, but not sure what you have up there. If you can't get hay at least get her some alfalfa pellets, she really needs the calcium and the protein that a legume based feed will offer. And I would get it ASAP. Toxemia is all food based. Ketosis can be caused by either too much, or too little grain, or the wrong type of grain and also poor quality hay/forage.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have not dealt with pregnancy toxemia before, but I haven't had sheep as long as southern by choice and many others have had goats.

I do have the Storey book on raising sheep, and it gives 'refusal to eat' as one of the symptoms of pregnancy toxemia. I imagine goats would be similar. In pregnancy toxemia, their body isn't getting enough calories to support them and the lambs, so they start breaking down too much of their own body fat. This builds up too many ketones in their blood. And yes it's very serious. Please call your vet, and I hope things go well.
I just sat down with her and just kept refilling my hands with food... she ate quite happily. She's drinking and her poop is quite normal.... I read in one of the symptoms that the poop pellets would be dry and few.... they are as plentiful as ever and look to be normal.... so she is eating ... and I think I might try and make one of the electrolyte drinks to get some nutrients into her. I will see if I can get her checked out by the vet.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Newton has recently started having a dwindling appetite. She's not sick and I can sometimes get her to eat on her own, but as of I so the past few days she won't touch her feed on her own. pent most of the other day in her pen with her and saw her food was barely touched all day. Sometimes she would go an nose it around, grab some hay and act like she is going to eat it and the put it down.... she's drinking still and will eat bits and pieces from my hands... how worried should I be?
Goats may go off feed hours before kidding but many eat while in labor. Since it has been several days that is VERY concerning.
I would take her temperature as well.
@norseofcourse explained it very well and @Calendula put up a link that you should read.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would be suspicious of Toxemia as well. I have never had a goat with it but the symptoms fit. My goats will eat until the minute they go into labor and sometimes even that doesn't stop them. I would be calling the vet and I would be adding nutri-drench, karo syrup, and molasses to her water in the meantime. This is nothing to mess around with.

She really needs some hay. The sweet feed is a a great secondary feed, corn is useless for protein, and they need protein to make milk. Alfalfa hay would be best, but not sure what you have up there. If you can't get hay at least get her some alfalfa pellets, she really needs the calcium and the protein that a legume based feed will offer. And I would get it ASAP. Toxemia is all food based. Ketosis can be caused by either too much, or too little grain, or the wrong type of grain and also poor quality hay/forage.
She has hay in her pen with her and she has been munching on it a bit .. we have hay with alfalfa in it so since we don't have the pellets I'll try giving her some of that as well

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, good. I thought from your post that she was only getting grain and corn and that concerned me.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, good. I thought from your post that she was only getting grain and corn and that concerned me.
No, we make sure she has plenty of stuff she needs.from he moment we found out she was pregnant, we went over a list of foods she would need to keep her healthy.... At the moment she's going to town on a salt lick and seems to be showing a bit more of an appetite than earlier this morning. I find she is eating a bit more .... so I'm hoping that it isn't toxemia....

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can get ketone strips at some pharmacies and off of Amazon and test her urine.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just now seeing this.

I would be worried about toxemia as well.

I would at least CALL a vet and get advice, as we are not vets. Just owners.

If she eats when you're with her, it may be that she has taught you what she wants.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree. It sounds like you are newer at this, I'd at least put a call into your vet and try to have a vet out soon. Might not be toxemia but it might. They can look okay one minute and be dead the next.

I've been in goats a while now. I'm able to analyze my animals, look at the most likely scenario, and proceed in how I think is best. If I need antibiotics or am worried about something in particular, I call my vet.
When you are new, you are stepping into a different world. I'm not saying this to cut you down, we have all been there :) But a newbie should be quicker to call a vet when something might be wrong. We cannot see your goat. She might be having a totally different issue. Getting help online is great- many are willing to help walk you through the process of goats, but when you have member after member recommending you call a vet, you should heed that advice.

What is her temperature?
If she has a fever, giving all these sugars are terrible for her. IF she has toxemia, she will die without it. Just something to think about.