Shortages

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that if meat goats and/or sheep sell good there you might try to get some and run for the grass season? I wish I was closer.... I'd run a couple calves on your grass and trade off some beef..... But 4 hours is not worth the travel for just a couple head with the cost of fuel... but, still something to think about for next year if you don't find the boer goats or something to eat the grass....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an informative thread. I’ve put back goods periodically for years and they’ve come in handy. When we get to the new place we will start on storage we couldn’t manage here. I think things will get better but not before an all-star clown show.
All star clown show!! Hahaha! You are so right!
We have a recession coming at us like a freight train. Get in your new place, stock up on the things you consume. I’d plan for a year’s worth if you can. Have plenty of garden seed and the means to put up what you grow. It’s going to be a wild ride. And if it ain’t, then you’ll be ok for awhile. Your grocery store will have cobwebs if they’re dependent on you showing up! LOL

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was shocked, I tell you, shocked today when I went to Wallys. We normally buy Jimmydean sausage - its the longer tube for $5. Cut it up, wrap, freeze and use on Sundays. Today it was $9.42. Onions went from 69 cents to 98 cents to $1.24 per lb for plain yellow ones. I'm hoping I can learn to grow some onions at our new place in WA state - I use them for a lot of dishes!

I was packing my canning jars - luckily more than 50% of my jar stash is full of food.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule we’re in decent shape. Convincing my husband that we need to move the “backstock” will be challenging. He and the extended family wait expectantly for the return of normal, we won’t need the extra. I am planning the logistics of getting that stuff there on the down low. 😉

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Delaware and Md. Gas is 4.35 to 4.39 funny the BP station jacked it 4.49 got no business and brought it back to 4.40. Even Sam's club was 4.35 Saturday had been 15-20 cents cheaper for months. I'll have to check the Jimmy Dean sausage was 4.65 for the short roll at Food Lion but was 6 something for the big roll at Sam's. At least we've got tp on the shelves unlike last year.
MD had suspended the gas tax for 30 days, ended April 16 that hurt. .36 ¢ a gallon. I know some are worse off. I travel 54 miles everyday Mon-Fri was costing 30 a week now it's 50. Where I work is closing and moving to New England next year. I'm thinking of bailing now. I'd take a pay cut but save 200 a month in gas. Walmart is a 10/15 minute walk down the railroad tracks. I'm seeing a blue vest in my future.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Grizzlyhackle .... although not my "favorite" place, I do shop at Walmart... and they do have the business so a job there might be a good move. Especially if you KNOW your company is going to close, the thing to do is get a different job before everyone is looking. The gas savings would be great... and if you have to drive in bad weather or something, at least you won't be spending but maybe $50 a month instead of a week.
Virginia proposed to suspend the gas tax and it was tabled. Gov is pushing for it again...
I hate to harp on it but I keep telling everyone that it is going to get worse... and to get things stocked up and extra if at all possible.... things ARE NOT GOING TO GET BETTER for the foreseeable future... this is a FARMER TALKING, not a conservative or a liberal or anything inbetween... we have gone past the edge of pulling back and are going to have to hit a bottom that many have not seen..... there will be food shortages to rival the early days of the covid stuff... and the prices will be 2-5 times what you were paying. Interest rates are going to really get bad... I remember my parents building a new house back in 1966 and the mortgage rates were in the DOUBLE DIGITS.....

The fed is already saying that the next increase may be more than the half percent... and they are talking JUNE.... that is next month....

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I worry about corn. And other feeds for stock and dogs. We’ll get through if we plan and help each other. My mom went through the Great Depression and Dust Bowl. Thrift and compassion saved many while the government bumbled through failed fiscal and social policies. I guess all things old are new again.